Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Welcome from a Hummingbird

Finally! I completed one of my art projects, the Welcome sign that I've had for--oh, goodness--at least five years.

It was all white. Now only the bird's belly is white, and that by God's design.

I painted this plaster piece with acrylics and coated it with ModPodge to seal and shine it.

This ruby-throated hummingbird caught my eye and so I copied him from an issue of Birds & Blooms. I chose purple to color those flowers, which I think are violets, but even if not, I am partial to purple, and so purple it is.

To get the depth of color contrast, paint the dark purple first and then add lilac highlights. The green leaves are mixed from blue and yellow, starting with the deepest saturation of blue first. I just love playing around with color. Acrylic paints are mighty forgiving--my #1 criterion for any art supply.

Most artists probably could have whipped this out in 90 minutes, but I'm slower and fuss a lot just when I think it's finished. So this one took me almost three hours. And I'm happy with it.

4 comments:

Joyce said...

Very pretty...we just put out a feeder so I'm hoping some real live hummingbirds stop by.

Zoanna said...

Oh, Joyce, they will come quickly. My feeder fell off the deck and broke a while ago, and I need to replace it. It's a daily pleasure to watch the hummers stop in for a sip.

Susan Kane said...

Hummingbirds are amazing creatures. Their hearts and wings beat faster than can be counted by our senses. They keep going. They are aggressive, yet beautiful. Love them.

Zoanna said...

Susan, I love h'birds. They are indeed amazing.

Hey, I've tried several times in the past 2 days to leave a comment but it keeps kicking me back to the wv to try again. I put in my google acct and password but then it puts me back to the comment screen. Weird. At any rate, your granddaughter's "Don't bite" as a commandment? Hilarious! And her "good job, Grandma!" is priceless.