Saturday, March 01, 2008

Car Advice Wanted

As most of you know, we made a mistake with our last car purchase. It was a 95 Lexus we bought from a private owner in Delaware. It's been nothing but trouble, and we not-so-affectionately call it the Lemonexus.

So......we are replacing it. I would like some advice on the car we are now considering. After having spent HOURS and HOURS scouring the internet and a couple hours looking in person, we found today, in PA, a 97 Saab convertible. It's a prettty coppery brown with a black top with lots of amenities, 124K miles, with an attractively low price. Paul, Sarah and I all felt a trust in the lot owner and his wife, a strikinginly beautiful Russian woman. Paul and I SArah test drove it while I watched Joel in the office area. They liked the way it handled and the well-kept body. EVerything they tested worked fine. We want to take it to our mechanice, but because of the distance (an hour and a half) the dealer didn't really want us to take it that far, understandably. He was more than happy to let us take it to theirs,OR to a closer one of our choice.


Question for advice: Have you ever owned a Saab or a convertible? Driven one? Good experiences, or bad?
Anything we should know in general? Specifically?

I have on my list of 100 Things to Do Before I Die: ride in a convertible and, if possible, own one, cuz I have a thing for cars. It's something I get from my daddy. A Penchant for Cars could be my alternative blog title. I have ridden in a convertible (my uncle's 65 Mustang) and now the opportunity is before us to own one. It would be for Sarah's and STephen's use primarily, but you can bet I'll drive it and even take my friends joy riding if we buy it.

But I am leary of my own judgment after having messed up the last decision. We are thinking about this car deal over the weekend and, if we decide yes, will return on Monday afternoon--after Paul's last 1/2 day at work.

Please advise. Don't be shy. I know people don't like to leave negative comments,but we want the wisdom that comes from amultitude of couselors.

Thanks!

2 comments:

Bethany said...

buy a subaru. HEE HEE

Sacha said...

Hey Zo! Saabs are great cars!! The only issue that you will have is that they are VERY expensive to replace parts on. You can definitely get parts, just not as quickly or as cheap.