Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Chili with Sloppy Umbrellas

I used to call my own dinner creations "Delights" (Chicken Potato Delight, Beef and Mushroom Delight, Pork and Cheesy Rice Delight) until some of them didn't turn out so well. That's when the dubious guinea pigs at my table started asking if I wouldn't mind using a real recipe. Now whenever I throw something together "out of my own head" (as Joel says) I try to give it an ending other than "delight" so that my family will actually try it, not just nibble skeptically at the ends of their forks.

So, here was tonight's creation. I call it....

CHILI WITH SLOPPY UMBRELLAS

-Enough chili to fill a 13x9 pan (I had a frozen block of Smart Chili--vegetarian--from Cheaspeake Quality Traders). I put it in the oven, frozen, on 250 for 1.5 hours, then turned it up to 350 while making the "umbrellas."
- Put shredded cheddar or nacho cheese on top of chili.
-Dice a medium green pepper. Sprinkle them randomly over the cheese layer.
-Make biscuit mix according to box (such as Bisquick). I used about 4.5 cups mix plus almost 3/4 cup milk and stirred lightly. Plop this mixture like sloppy umbrellas on top of chili. (Calling them "umbrellas" just makes me smile.) Bake till biscuits are golden brown. (Box said 8-10 minutes, but I forgot to set the timer and I think 30 minutes later they were perfectly done. God's grace saved my meal again!)
-When it comes out, sprinkle dried savory over it to look nice.

No comments: