Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Get Your Kitchen On: Cooking Contest to Feed the Poor

Moving this post up. Minor changes noted in bold.
Here's a contest I've designed for all you foodies OR anyone who is okay to give their prize away for the sake of the hungry worldwide, which is what this contest is really about.

The contest:
Make 7 new things in 10 days.
The days are April 1-10.
There are 7 categories; the object is to make one NEW-TO-YOU thing from each category.
You can make one per day, or combine new things in a single day, but can't take more than 10 days to complete it.
You must post your recipes, give the source, and post your own review on your blog.

Not a blogger but want to enter?
Email me your recipes and reviews instead. (Only people I know will get my email address.)

Keep your reviews short and sweet, such as "Always wanted to try this fish on the grill. It was easier/harder than I thought. In the future, I would/wouldn't try it again. I give it (how many) stars (out of 5). I tweaked it/ followed the recipe exactly. I would or wouldn't recommend it." No pressure to talk us into the recipe. The idea is to try new things for your sake, your family's or friends' sake, and the sake of the poor.

How will it benefit the poor? Glad you asked.

Because here's the prize. The person with the most new recipes tried--and posted about-- in 10 days wins one dollar for each one, and the money goes to Compassion OR Global Aid Network. (Winner's choice.) I will also add a dollar for each new thing I try. (You do 7, I do 7, I'll donate $14). Winner gets to pick between GAIN and Compassion. Winner gets to tell me where to donate within the organization as well.

HOMEMADE is the key. You can't try the bruschetta from Costco or mango iced tea from Chili's or dessert from a box of Mrs. Smith's, in case you were wondering. You must make it yourself. You may enlist sous chefs, but you are the head chef!

In case of a tie, first one to leave their comment that they've posted all their reviews on their blog wins. Pictures are great but not necessary.

Here are the categories:
1. beverage (hot, cold, single serving or whole pitcher, doesn't matter)
2. appetizer
3. meat entree (any meat, including fish)
4. vegetarian entree (not even fish; but must contain protein)
5. vegetable
6. bread
7. dessert

Contest runs April 1-10.

Please leave a comment if you plan to enter the contest and ask all questions before April 1st.

So, folks, get your kitchen on! Plan those "I've-always-wanted-to-try ____" recipes,
tool around GAIN and Compassion and pray for the hungry while you scan cookbooks and go grocery shopping with ALL those choices of yummy, clean foods!

If entering, let me know in the comment box or by email before April 1.

Looking forward to cooking with you April 1st-10th!

1 comment:

Amy said...

what a fun idea! I love trying new recipes, so I will try to join in this!