Sunday, March 02, 2008

One Small Thing for God, One Huge Thing for Me

I've been reflecting lately on areas of my life--small as they may seem to others--that reflect a change that God is bringing or has brought.

One of those things is that I no longer hate going to the grocery store. It sounds laughable, but it's not. To me it was something I detested, avoided, and wished anyone would take over. I knew it was wrong to feel this way. I knew I should be grateful for the choices, the freshness, the close proximity of several, the money to buy a decent amount at once without being anxious, and many more reasons. But deep down I resented having to go out of my way to do something so basic, so mundane, so repetitious. I didn't mind popping in when I had a very well organized list of a few things for a gourmet meal, but to go for a week's worth or more? Forget it. I prayed God would change my heart, to want to serve my family with a better stocked pantry and fridge, to have many more meals at home, and to have a good attitude about it. I can confidently say God has changed my heart. Not that I love grocery shopping now, or eagerly anticipate my outings to Klein's or Aldi, but I no longer dread it. That's a huge change. I take NO credit for it whatsoever.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Zo
I know that Saab's can be hard to find parts for. I would call Doug Griffin. They owned one for many years...

Jessi said...

I identify completely with what you are saying...except I have not had the breakthrough heart change. I still detest the grocery store. But to be honest, it never even crossed my mind that this was wrong...I always just thought of it as a chore I hated. You're right though that I really should have a thankful attitude for such choices, the fact that I have money to get food to begin with, etc.! Thanks for bringing this to my attention...I'm really going to make it a matter of prayer. (And I'll pray for God to do a miraculous, quick work - cuz I really should go TODAY!!)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this. it gives me faith for change in a couple of mundane duties here as well :). I missed you while on my blog break. it's good to hear your "voice"