Thursday, December 18, 2008

Hallmark Commercial in my Classroom


If Hallmark ever needs the quintessential sweet boy to do a commercial, they should call me. He's in my class. (I'll call him Ryan.) Every day after school he says, "Thanks for teaching, Mrs. Zubrowski." And every day I answer, "Thanks for learning, Ryan."

Twice this week Ryan has blessed me. The first was a simple note saying "Dear Mrs. Zubrowski, it's really fun being an afternoon teacher. Merry Christmas. Love, Ryan. " ( I knew he meant "having you as an afternoon teacher" but I was thinking, "Maybe one day he will be a history teacher. He loves it!"
As I've said before, I'm teaching a very small, combined class of 5th and 6th graders. I teach US history of the 20th century, among other subjects. This week we've been wrapping up the decade of 1910-20. I had each student choose a person or topic to research, write a short TV interview about (where I'm the host and they're the guest). Well, we did a dry run of the show of Tuesday. I ad-libbed a bit with each one to make the scripts "flow" more naturally. The real show would be Wednesday.

Ryan was millionaire Andrew Carnegie. When I introduced him, I said, "Mr. Carnegie, welcome to The Chatterbox Show. It's so nice to meet you. I bet everyone likes to pick your pockets. " (I ad-libbed the last part.)

So on Wednesday Ryan came in dressed as Carnegie. To the nines! Nice suit and vest, brown velvet hat he'd gone specially to the thrift store to get. In the hall before the TV show started, he pulled me aside and said, "Mrs. Zubrowski, remember yesterday you said, 'I bet people like to pick your pockets' ? Could you please say that again today? I liked it and I brought this little bag of coins I'm going to pull out when you say it." (It was a cloth, drawstring bag of real coins.) So I did, and he did. Fun little touch with a prop.

A little later some of his classmates were asking where he got all the coins and he said he did chores for them. He made sure that if any dropped, he carefully picked each one up.

Near the end of class, he came up to my desk and handed me a penny.

"Mrs. Zubrowski, I want you to have this."

"Well, thank you, Ryan, but you worked hard for this." I examined the penny. "And this is a 1976 coin. Do you know that was a bicentennial year? When I was your age, America celebrated her 200th birthday."

"Really?"

"Yes. Are you sure you want to give away a bicentennial penny?"

"Yes, I'm sure. I like to give my teachers something for Christmas every year, and ...well...I figured you'd like something from the 1900s."
"You are so right about that, Ryan," I said, biting back tears at his thoughtfulness. "I'm going to treasure this penny. Thank you."

"You're welcome. Merry Christmas. And one more thing. Mrs Zubrowski? I think I did really good on that World War I test. And you know what? My dad knows everything about World War II. I mean everything. When are we going to study that? My dad's a World War II nerd. You know what a nerd is, right? It's a good thing."

"I know. And I think you're turning into a war history nerd yourself, too , huh?"

"Yup," he beamed, gathering up his backpack before heading out the door. "Thanks again for teaching."

"You're welcome, Ryan. Thanks for learning."






10 comments:

Anonymous said...

this is so sweet. gave me a smile in the middle of the day! sounds like you are doing a fabulous job, Zo. more importantly, sounds like God is anointing your ministry to this age group....using in ways you won't fully know til eternity.

Anonymous said...

i meant using "you" in ways... oops.

Anonymous said...

Oooh!!! (said with an escalating little squeal), how sweet! I'm going to print this out and add it to my favorite heart warming stories. Teaching can be discouraging at times, but also very rewarding because of students like "Ryan"!

PS I'm using my middle name to distinguish from the other Laurie who commented.
How does that Laurie pronounce her name, I wonder?

Amy said...

that made me smile. I bet you are such a fun teacher!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your kind words, everyone. I do enjoy my job, even moreso when I someone says they enjoy class . This isn't typically a warm and fuzzy age, so I takes what I can gets.

Laurie Lynn, the other Laurie used to live here with her family, HEr hubby pastored our church. Her name rhymes with "sorry" . I am SORRY I can't think of a better rhyme at the moment. My rhymer is on the fritz.

Leanne said...

I have to share this one with Matt. It will make him smile (as a history teacher, of course :)).

emily said...

Very sweet story, Zoanna. What a gem of a student; appreciate your investment in his life!

Laurie said...

My husband used to jokingly say,
"Her name is "Laurie".
It rhymes with Safari.
Say it wrong
and you'll be sorry!
Usually if I meet another "Laurie" and they say their name is "Lori", I think, "Hmmm. She doesn't know how to say her own name!
Doesn't she know it rhymes with sorry?"

krista said...

Loved this! How sweet. Makes me miss those kids--though the ones I had are now all grown up and out of there, or are seniors this year!

Did you know I was born on the night of Dec. 31st, 1976? My parents always joked that I came JUST in time for that income tax deduction! :o)

Susan Kane said...

I can tell you were a passionate teacher, who touched the lives of your students, long after they moved on. God bless you and them.