Monday, March 08, 2010

Buffalo Wild Wings in Bel Air, MD: Just Okay

Having heard a great sermon by Jimmy as an entree on Sunday with a side of "the guys on staff love Buffalo Wild Wings," Paul and I went there with our youngest child for lunch right after church. Yes, we are suckers for word-of-mouth advertising-- and we eat out almost every Sunday. Call it good timing for BWW.

Jimmy had said they go to the White Marsh location, but since it's farther, we opted for the Bel Air store. We were seated right away, and the house was about half-full, I'd say.

The place smelled great. There are about a dozen TV sets in the joint, mounted high overhead, each with a different channel on, so take your pick. In a matter of seconds, I was able to watch gymnastics, NASCAR, a Kentucky game, and other hoo-ha of the sports variety which I really don't care about. I'd call it a "family sports bar," if I could coin a term.

Paul and I ordered an appetizer of 8 wings, half with the Jimmy-endorsed parmesan-garlic sauce, and half with honey BBQ. They were okay. Not to brag, but I think we've made better at home on Super Bowl Sunday.

We then ordered our meals. He got a Big Daddy Jerk sandwich (beef, pulled pork, lettuce, tomato, and onion ring) on a mammoth bun. Believe it or not, he was full from the appetizer. Yes, a grown man filled up on four wings and three iced teas and a few fries. He brought the burger home and I had to reheat it for my lunch today. Ick.

I ordered the pulled pork sandwich with sweet BBQ sauce. The server brought me the wrong thing--the slammers (3 mini sammies of the pulled pork variety). Not a big deal except that the slammers were a buck more. He apologized and adjusted the price without a problem. The skinny fries were all right. The meat tasted terrible--dry and "pork fatty". I know Emeril says "pork fat rules," but that's because of Emeril's talents!

As for the skinny fries, a few tips were burned, which is one of those "little things" that I would not let out of the kitchen if I were a chef. It's too easy to remedy and too hard to make a good first impression with anything burned.

Joel got the mac 'n cheese. What can I say? It was fair fare. Hard to mess up mac 'n cheese for a kid. He'd probably order it again,though, no matter how average.

The place has electronic trivia games that you can play at the table. Joel logged in and played against 10 people in the restaurant. I took a turn at it, too. Let's just say I am both pop-culture challenged and not quick-fingered. And I got sad when one of the correct answers was "Belgium." (That's where sweet Jessica moved with her family. Sniff. Sniff.)

Paul and I agreed the noise level was comfortable for such a place. Not too loud (the TVs were silent or barely audible) and the din of dinner conversations was a healthy level for me. For the price, we would've preferred to go to Chile's. The whole experience was just okay.
\
But Jimmy's sermon? Far better than just okay! I will definitely be returning again and again to be "fed" at SGC! As for Buffalo Wild Wings, I'll go again if someone else picks up the tab or hands me a gift card.

3 comments:

Laurie said...

Even after that great review of mediocre food I'm still hungry... But I'd opt for another place. It sounds like way too much visual and auditory stimuli for an enjoyable restaurant experience, IMO!

Rachelle said...

We're beginning to think we're food snobs...too many recent dining experiences have made us realize that we eat really well at home! Thanks for the food review;I am going to have Blake read this, he is doing a career investigation and the teacher wants him to write a 'food' article- of which he said, "A what??" Now he'll know!!

Becoming a Morrison said...

Zo - are you a pasta person? I LOVE La Cucina in Havre de Grace. Very authentic! I think the owners are from Sicily...

Best alfredo I've ever had. Ya know, it’s the type that if you try to reheat it, it just separates into clumps and oil. Yummy. Dinners are around $20.00 a plate (but HUGE) and lunches are around, or slightly more than, $10.00. They usually have certificates / coupons on restaurant.com.

It's a little whole in the wall place, where jeans are just fine...

I seriously would live there if I could.