Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Making Decisions Isn't Always as Hard as Announcing Them

Yesterday I had the formidable task of interviewing my seven students for their jobs at Biz Town. There will be one CEO, one CFO, one Sales Manager,
two Food Managers, and two Beverage managers.

Each student was to list his or her first, second, and third choice. I was hoping it would be as easy as plugging everyone into their first choice position.

Not so.

I had four students who wanted to be the Sales Manager.
Two who wanted to be the CFO.
No one who wanted to be the CEO.
One who wanted to be the Beverage Manager.

One who would make a good CEO sees it as an office job, and prefers to be with people. That child needs to see that a CEO is, indeed, a people person with good admin and math skills, but is not strapped to the desk.

Some want to be the chief but not an Indian. I had to tell them, "Everyone will push a broom. Trust me. CEO, CFO, makes no difference. No work is beneath any of us as servants of Christ." They nodded in agreement. When push comes to shove, though, who will push the broom with gladness, as if Christ were about to come into the restaurant for a Coke and some Fritos?

I have to announce my decisions today or tomorrow. (I am tempted to put it off till tomorrow, but I don't think the decision would change.) Deciding took some prayer and evaluation of interviews, work habits, leadership abilities already proven, and a report card, and "hashing it out" with my co-teacher, Cheryl, who is well-qualified to speak of their abilities and potential and who was with us last year at BizTown to see them in action.

Deciding was not hard. Telling the students could be. I hate to disappoint people, but I love to call them to the challenge of accepting God's sovereignty in their young lives.

Yesterday they were nervous about their interview. It was cute. One boy who is normally quite poised and outgoing, had a quivering lip. We asked if he was nervous. He said, "I'm cold." Another had obviously rehearsed his greeting over and over. Walked in, shook hands confidently and said, "Hello, I'm {So and So}, it's a pleasure to meet you." Then he waited, as I had instructed them last week, until he was asked to please have a seat. On one application, the person answered the question: "Who do you admire?" with "Mrs. Zubrowski," and when Cheryl asked why, "Because when she doesn't know what to do, she prays." Aww.

Today I am nervous about announcing the jobs. Will that be cute? Will my lips quiver? Maybe layering up will help? No, I doubt it. I need God's grace to be the gentle messenger . I don't know how best to go about this.

Guess I'll pray.

2 comments:

Rachelle said...

hope all goes well! I love this idea of learning, wish we could have this project at our school!

Danielle said...

My sister did Biz Town I think. I'm sure the experience will be good for your students, no matter what position they get!