Thursday, March 18, 2010

Eight Things You Might Not Know About Me

Not that I've won an award lately and been asked to include oddities about myself in my acceptance speech, but I was tooling around some blogs and found inspiration. I hope these senseless tidbits keep you glued right here.

1. I have a big bump on the inside of the top knuckle of my middle finger on the right hand. I would like to think it's full of wisdom, like the grey streaks now evident in my otherwise brunette hair. But I think it's just from squeezing the heck out of pens when I write.

2. Speaking of hair, I think mine reaches a stage where it grows outward, not downward, preferring horizontal lengthening. Locks of latitude. They take their cues from my body, I suppose, which hasn't read any of the "up not out growth " memos I've sent it since seventh grade.

3. I love all things Titanic (except my hips). I've been fascinated with the lives of the rich and famous who sailed the Unsinkable Molly Brown, and cry every time I hear "Nearer, my God, to Thee."

4. Speaking of crying, it happens almost every time I pray in public about anything that touches my heart.

5. I hardly ever wear something that has a pattern for a print. In a scarf , maybe, but I can only think of one thing in my wardrobe that isn't a solid print. Just please don't call me a solid girl. (See part B of number 2, above.)

6. Speaking of number two, when I was potty training (that is, being potty trained) I would call a "b.m." a blum (which rhymes with "plum"). My parents told everybody how cute that was. I wonder what else they told them about my personal life.

7. I can't sleep with my bedroom door open even a crack, nor can I fall asleep with any lights on, and I can't stand to hear music playing if I'm trying to sleep. What's more, I have to have a sheet between me and the next type of cover, whatever that might be.

8. Speaking of cover, I once tried to make a canary yellow jumper for Home Ec class, but after getting the B that I didn't deserve (the grade being padded with copious pity points) I cut it up and made book covers. I liked to think that my brain was as bright as my books. The experience forever soured me on the notion of making my own clothes. I have hated jumpers ever since. And the color yellow. But I don't mind pity.

5 comments:

krista said...

Zoanna + blog = laughs (without fail)

Laurie said...

Oh you poor thing. (There's the pity for ya. #8)
Those tidbits were inspiring and also kept me glued. I didn't know those eight things!
I'm sure the canary yellow book covers were a great way to salvage the material! I remember making an oatmeal colored skirt that reminded me of a square dancer's skirt. It was horrible. If it were a happy color I may have thought of ways to salvage it, but I removed it far from me instead.
The notion of sewing my own was soured in home ec. also, but I loved the cooking/eating part of home ec. except for when the prissiest girl in the class and I
had to make cow tongue during "Organ Week". Yuck. Not only because cow tongue
is an unappetizing organ
to prepare, but because "Miss Priss" was pretty impossible to work with! She was seriously and uselessly grossed out!

Ya know what? Those 8
oddities just make you all the more who you are and likable too!

zz said...

Thanks, you two.

Laurie, I can just picture "Miss Priss" now. She probably hasn't forgotten cow tongue or Organ Week either. She must've been traumatized (which is guilty pleasure for those of us watching people like her suffer. I'm sorry.)

If those 8 kept you glued, stay tuned. Your life won't be complete without a full disclosure of moi.

Shawna Atteberry said...

I have the same growth on the middle finger of my right hand for the same reasons. But I'm on the opposite end of spectrum when it comes to sleep: I have to have the door open. Visiting the parents and in-laws drives me crazy having to close the door.

bashtree said...

My body hasn't read those up-not-out memos, either! What's with that??