Saturday, September 18, 2010

Soup Shots


Fall says "soup" and soup says "comfort" and "comfort" says "aah."

I made this soup a little while back, before fall had fallen, and I decided to photograph it. Sadly, the pictures "fall" short of appetizing. The soup was good, which was what really mattered, but I'd love some feedback
on these photos. How can I improve my food photos?

To be fair, the meat was venison, which doesn't crumble "pretty" like beef, but I won't make excuses.

Don't worry about hurting my feelings. Just don't say it looks like throw-up, even though the second shot looks post-op to me!

7 comments:

Laurie said...

food photos are hard! I think these are fine, Zo! If I had food photo hints, I'd share them, but I don't! Enjoy that soup!

krista said...

I too need some pointers with food shots. My only advice is to snap a shot of the dish outside.

That soup looks yummy to me! Soups are hard to photograph in my opinion. Everything tends to blend together.

TAB said...

Oh, shooting it outside is an awesome idea! I too think soup is a hard one to photograph. I would maybe try putting it in a bowl with some kind of garnish???? With some fall leaves around the bowl?? I'm just spouting off ideas as I type this....as they come to my mind. :-)

TAB said...

fYI: I would think posting the soup recipe with the soup photo would be a good idea too ;-)

zo said...

Tab, an outdoor shot would have been great, but the pot was pot was heavy and hot, and the family was hungry. They chide me about taking pictures of food anyway.

The recipe? There isn't one. I just threw stuff in to clean out my freezer, fridge, and pantry. Venison, green beans, pinto beans, corn, tomato juice, etc.

I like your idea of a bowl, garnish, and leaves. The soup looked much better in person.

Jessi said...

I don't know about the photo side, but sitting here right now feeling achy and feverish, it looks like yummy comfort food to me. However, since this mommy is the one in need of comfort and not cooking, it'll be frozen pizza for us tonight. :(

zo said...

Jessi, so sorry you're not feeling well. If you lived close by, I'd bring you a bowl of soup. I love to share food!