Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Finally Accepting Fall

Normally by the end of August I am ready for fall. This year, however, I dragged my seasonal feet, kicking and screaming that summer was over. Part of it was that I just love the pace of summer. Part of it was that I had to embrace a change of schooling that I had mixed feelings about. Part of it was that so many of these recent Maryland days and nights have felt warm enough to be called summery.

But now I think I've finally come to terms with the change of season. Don't get me wrong--this is my favorite season. That fact alone made me wonder why I was so reluctant to jump into the proverbial leaf pile with both feet. Guess I've just been in a funk .

Today I will take the first step toward acknowledging that Autumn is Here. Even though it's hot and humid out, and I see no changing leaf colors, I will stop by a local greenery for some mums. I might even purchase the stuff to make a wreath for my front door. I have no fall decorations left since I purged all my countrified stuff this past summer. Perhaps I'll hang my fall/winter valance back up at the naked sliding glass window. It's a rite of passage for curtains, after all.

Best of all, I will get a new 'do today. Or at least a shape-up of my last 'do, and my eyebrows waxed, both of which always put a spring in my step (and, I hope, not a "fall").

Truly it must be fall because I had my first hankering for oatmeal this morning. I went to make Briana's Baked Apple Oatmeal, but when I opened what I thought was a new canister of oats,
lo and behold, it was birdseed. I had totally forgotten I'd stored it there, so kept telling Paul and Sarah, "Whatever you do, don't buy oatmeal . I have a whole new container of it in the garage!"

So I made a Sock-it-to-Me cake instead. And later this evening I will make Provencal Soup for our ladies' soup-and-salad dinner tomorrow night. Just in case I get called in for jury duty tomorrow, I will have it ready to go when I get back.

{{Hugs}} to fall. Finally!

No comments: