Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Call Me Shigionoth

As if "Zoanna" weren't a weird enough name.

Inspired by the powerful recitation of Psalm 22 by Ryan Ferguson, I've found it easier to memorize Habakkuk 3 by dramatizing it aloud in my quiet time, putting hand motions and inflection that try to convey the emotions. The imagery in this chapter is gripping--vivid verbs, strong adjectives, spot-on similes. (Then again, everything in the Bible is spot-on, huh? I mean, consider the Author and Editor.) The words are getting into me as I am getting into them!

Habakkuk 3: 1 A prayer of Habakkuk the prophet, according to Shigionoth.
2 O LORD, I have heard the report of you, and your work, O LORD, do I fear. In the mist of the years revive it, in the midst of the years make it known, in wrath remember mercy.
3 God came from Teman, and the Holy One from Mount Paran. His splendor covered the heavens, and the earth was full of his praise.
4 His brightness was like the light; rays flashed from his hand, and there he veiled his power.
5 Before him went pestilence, and plaque followed at his heels.
6 He stood and measured the earth; he looked and shook the nations;
then the eternal mountains were scattered,
the everlasting hills sank low.
His were the everlasting ways.

My thoughts thus far:

vs 2 --One thing I am praying for this year is to see God revive His church, beginning with me. To love Him passionately, to serve Him wholeheartedly, to believe Him actively. And when change and revival aren't happening fast enough (within or without) and I'm tempted toward wrath, may I remember mercy, too, as God does.

vs 3-- Must look these up because I know God didn't "come from" anywhere. I just am unfamiliar with the Hebrew background. I asked my dad and he said he'll look it up in Stern's. My mom my already know, but she's in New Mexico caring for her post-op sister.

vs 4 -- I picture the rays flashing from His hand, so bright that His power behind them is veiled as if by a solar eclipse. "You ain't seen nuttin' yet" is the phrase I equate with this verse. My Superhero just waiting in the wings to unleash all His powers.

vs 5. Pied Piper, only better. I see diseases and problems marching like little ants, not rats, before and behind Jesus's feet, oblivious to His boots. He is ready to smash them in a single step forward or backward. He either is watching them with the control of a head coach, or is commanding them to stay behind Him. Either way He is watching and controlling.

vs 6 I picture His arms measuring the earth and it's the size of a shoebox. He looked and shook the nations, mountains scattered, hills sank low. His (point your index finger high when you say that!--HIS are the everlasting ways.

God, thank You for Your power. Thank You for Your sovereignty. Thank You for never taking Your eyes off me, for not utterly smashing me like an ant, but for crushing Your Son for my evil, my sin, for putting Satan in his rightful place (which is the Place Without Rights), for having such self-control that You withhold Your wrath from me and instead treat me with endless love and covenant kindness. You would do anything for me because You've already done everything for me! I am weeping with gratitude.

I'll bet Shigionoth wept, too.

5 comments:

Karen said...

i weep too when I consider what a sacrifice He has made on my behalf.

Karen said...

and can i call you shigi for short? ;)xo

Amy said...

beautiful. answer to prayer. I hope we get a video of this at the end of the month!!

Zoanna said...

Karen, call me Shiggy Ziggy Zub.

Amy, don't count on. I am struggling to get 5 verses down pat!

Amy said...

well, I still want a video of whatever you've got!