Saturday, July 17, 2010

Summer in the Projects, Exhibit C: Bedroom Closet Makeover

I posted my "before shots" here, where I journaled my progress on Day One of Three. I learned
a few things from this clean-out:

1. I really like to organize closets.
2 . I like it more if I tell myself, "Just 45 minutes to take 1/3 of it out and put it back." It helped me get started. Getting started is the hardest part. In reality, I can handle 1.5 hours of this type of work.
3. Taking "before" pictures is humbling, and a step I almost skipped out of embarrassment .But then I took a look around cyberspace and realized I really am in good company. Or some kind of company.
4. I adopted the motto "Done is better than perfect." I can get OCD about organizing (every six months the disorder hits :), and in the past it has hindered my progress. I mean, you do not need to have matchy-matchy organizers before you start. You don't have to make 90 degree angles of every box. You don't need to keep clothes just because they fit or "go with" something. If you don't like it, you don't like it. Let go of it and live!

My closet now: above: top of my side of the closet.
Below:
Top of his side. I ended this clean-out with a couple of empty shelves .Who knew?




I found this treasure again, a Mother's Day gift from Joel that he made in first grade. It made me cry this time. I'm such a sap . But rather than store it, I hung up inside the closet. I highly encourage you to post something inside your closet that makes you feel good.




















Uncaught shadow in the shot, but oh well .Here's the lower part on my side. (We share the shoe organizer. My feet are not THAT big!)



















































Done!

1 comment:

Laurie said...

Zoanna- I'd say you learned valuable things from this clean-out! Like you, I like to organize closets. Usually. But when a closet is organized I think I should KEEP the closet tidy which is not realistic in life's busyness, I suppose! I love the idea and encouragement for a "feel good closet post"! Joel's note is sweet and special!