Sunday, July 18, 2010

Summer in the Projects: Taking Risks with Art


This terrier, done in chalk pastels by Joel, was hanging
in our little bathroom two weeks ago. I really like it,
but was ready for a small change.

A spring assignment from his 2nd grade teacher was to
draw an invertebrate. He looked through a Birds 'n Blooms magazine and
chose to do a monarch butterfly. First he drew it with pencil, then filled
in with colored pencil. I was mighty impressed with his detailed work and wanted to
preserve it.

So I decided to frame it, using this doggie frame turned on the
vertical.

Got so excited while handling the pictures that I kind of forgot there was glass inside the frame.





Woops! Painful mistake. I cut myself in three places.
Went to find a Band-aid, but was prevented by a closet
too messy to allow me quick access to one. Humbling mistake.
By the time I did find one, my wounds were healed.













New art. (Click on the photo for detail.)

What I think is cute
is his indiscriminate punctuation.

"Joel, 4-27-10

age, 8."



Up next: Reorganizing a Large Space in order to Find a Small
Band-aid.

2 comments:

Laurie said...

Ouch! There are hazzards to getting organized!

Love Joel's art. The terrier is amazing!
I have several crayon (very primary and fresh) pieces from grandauhter El that I would love to frame. Backburner things, ya know?!

Zoanna said...

I love decorating with personal art. It's probably why there is still nothing behind the sofa--no one has created something that large in this family or among my friends (that I know of) and I don't want to make it a shrine of family portraits. So the wall is bare and waiting. Oh well. Very backburner thing.