Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Can We Be Real?


I just got a letter from a friend who is fighting depression. Life is not going the way she was hoping it would at this juncture. She feels alone and lonely. Stuck. And as a Christian, afraid to admit it to most people. Where's the joy?Is she a bad mom? she wonders. Everyone else seems so happy and fulfilled.


Another friend wrote a few weeks ago. She is in the sunset of her life. Back in the early 90s, one of her identical twin daughters died a slow and painful death that included renal failure due to spousal abuse. This woman still fights bitterness over her ex-son-in-law's heinous crime. She is a Christian and says, "I know I shouldn't feel this way and people tell me I should be over it by now, it's been 16 years. But how do you "get over" the loss of your own child? You don't. You never do. They say time heals all wounds, but they're wrong. Every year she's gone just reminds me of how many years I've been in agony without her. And her son--my grandson-- lost his mommy before he really knew her."


A third friend is wondering if she married the wrong man. She won't admit it in those terms, but she is full of regret. He led her to believe he was a Christian when he was "converted" during their dating, and they went to church together for a solid year after that. But he is pretty much living like a single guy with a wife. She doesn't know what to do except pray.


A single friend confessed that she feels out of touch with the singles in her church. They used to serve together on outreaches,worship at singles' gatherings regularly, and hang out at each other's homes . She says it's bad enough when they stop hanging out with you because they got married, "but I'm talking about girls that aren't. They just don't seem to care enough and the church isn't doing outreaches that put us together to serve. It's just sad. "


So, what are your deeper needs today? I feel burdened to pray for people right now who aren't necessarily in need of physical healing, but emotional and relational. Sometimes , I've heard it said, "we turn our prayer meetings into organ rehearsals--my uncle's bad heart, my grandma's liver, my cousin's kidneys." But most of us, especially women, are more in touch with our needs than we'll admit, and want someone to really listen, care, and pray.


If you want to leave a comment in the box, that's fine. Or sign anonymously, or email me. I'd love to intercede for you. And while I'm being real, please pray for me. I'm still not feeling "yee-haw" about starting school with Joel. He's got his backpack ready for co-op which doesn't start till the 13th!


Hope it helps to unload to someone today.


6 comments:

Vicki said...

God Bless you Zo for having a heart for the broken-hearted. The Lord has given you such a tender heart - that is a gift.

I will keep you in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

I agree, that's great that you have a heart for the brokenhearted. I was just reading about the brokenhearted in my Beth Moore book today called "Breaking Free" and about how God binds them up. But God uses people to help do some of the binding too.

Leanne said...

Thanks Zo. Praying for you!

Zoanna said...

All right, thanks, but maybe I didn't make my point clear. I want to know some of YOUR deepfelt prayer requests.

Leanne said...

Hey, now, I wrote you an e-mail! :)

Actually I just wanted to make sure that you got my e-mail and that I didn't screw up the e-mail address somewhere along the way. With my blond hair, these things happen.

Anonymous said...

Hey Zo. I saw you tagged me. My summer has been super low key, but I'll post something about it soon.