Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Sarah's Car Accident

This morning Sarah called me in tears at about 8:55. She had just spun out of control on Wheel Road on her way to her college English class. She was crying, very upset, not knowing exactly where she was, but pretty sure she wasn't hurt. "All I know is I hit a dirt wall."

I had peace and the wherewithal to call 911 on the home phone to report it, plus Bonnie Powell on the cell phone to come drive me. She lives one street behind me. I don't like to drive nervous, and there's no safe place--no shoulder--on Wheel Road to pull off to assess Sarah. It's just a narrow, winding road with either guardrails, embankment, phone poles, mailboxes, trees-and lots of students going back and forth to HCC.

Bonnie came immediately for Joel and me. Seconds before we showed up, an off-duty city cop was there to help Sarah. The car (the 95 Lexus we bought a few weeks ago) was 90 degrees turned into a dirt embankment, just ten feet from a telephone pole!
The officer was very reasurring to her and was holding back traffic, as the place she was at was between two bends in the road. It had just been raining and that road has numerous oil slicks on it. My own sister flipped a car there a few years ago.

Sarah appears to be phyically fine. She is so conscientious she even put in a call to her English teacher right after the crash, and emailed him a follow up when she got home to explain her absence. Can you believe that?

I got hold of Paul, at long last! That was the first thing she asked when I hugged her. "Did you call Dad yet?" A little girl always wants her daddy, no matter her age, right?

The off-duty officer offered to drive it home for me (five minutes away) and for me to drive his Camry. I thought it would make it home, but the underneath metal thingy panel is dragging and Eric (the cop) didn't want to drive it further, so it's parked on a side street. I thanked him and Bonnie drove us home.Sarah is afraid of disappointing her dad. "He just bought that car a few weeks ago!" she said, sobbbing.

"Honey, we're just relieved you're okay. Really! ANd it's one reason we bought a big, old car," I reminded her. "We wanted it to take the impact if there was an accident. (She said. in fact, she was amazed how it absorbed the hit.) "It felt like little more than a sudden stop when the seat belt grabs you."

I don't foresee repairs costing much, but if they do, so what? Our daughter is safe, no other cars were involved, and God sent the right people at the right time.

We'd appreciate your prayers. She is still shaken, understandably.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad Sarah is okay!!

Vicki said...

Praying.
Grateful Sarah is okay and well cared for. I have had about 12 car accidents in my life (11 were my fault, so tell her that dad's always ask about how you are, not the car and not to feel bad... my poor dad...) Anyway, hope the rest of your day is peaceful and all the details work out smoothly.

Leanne said...

So glad Sarah's ok! My first accident was similar - I spun out, single car accident - but it was on 695 at 70 at rush hour, and I went into the guard rail instead of a dirt embankment (because I had to swerve to avoid the guy in front of me). I'm still a little jumpy in high traffic situations from it, but I think that might be a good thing - I'm a more careful driver for it!

Briana Almengor said...

So glad that Sarah is alright! I'll pray she's able to get behind that wheel again soon without too much anxiety.

Anonymous said...

aww, poor Sarah. Praying!

Anonymous said...

Zoanna, this has nothing to do with your post. I still have some magazines I'd love to share with someone, if you still want them, even though you're no longer on vacation. They're so expensive, I hate to throw them away and would love for someone else to get something out of them. They're all the latest issues of Domino, Home Companion, and Country Home. Let me know and I'll bring them to church.

Zoanna said...

Danielle, I'd love to have them, first to read, and then for Joel's school collages, if you don't mind.

Kitty Couture said...

Thank God Sarah is OK! I hope she is feeling better now.