Friday, September 07, 2007

An Old Homeschool Mom's Resume'

So I've pretty well nixed the notion that I'll make enough money doing in-home eldercare to offset college tuition costs. Been online looking for tutoring jobs after five people in a row suggested that route.

Sylvan pays $15-20 per hour. That's more like it. It's proportional to the rate at which my van guzzles gas, so I'm pursuing it.

This morning I filled out an online application and when I got to the "resume" portion of it, I gulped. My knee-jerk reaction? I haven't worked for pay for nearly 20 years. I don't have a resume.

Then I felt the Spirit anoint me with the confidence to articulate what Ihave been doing with the time and precious gifts of children He's given me. Even if I don't land the job, writing this "resume" has been worth the effort. I see God so clearly and can only say, "Thank you, Lord! I wouldn't trade those years for any amount of money."

My "resume" to Sylvan:


Nothing rewards me more than seeing students get excited about life because
they can read and write well. When they succeed, I count my job well done. When they struggle, I am excited by the challenge to present material in a different way until they finally understand.

I have 15 years' experience as a homeschooling mother. I have also taught high school English in a co-op setting for homeschoolers. Two of my children have graduated from high school, one is in high school, and one is in kindergarten. For the past 15 years, it has been my honor and duty to research and select appropriate curricula to suit each child's learning style, to create an environment conducive to studying, and to manage all of the responsibilities of a homemaker while also educating my children.

For the past 15 years I have absolutely loved watching that success take place in my home. I have had the best job in the world without pay, that of observing children and teens closely for ways I can help them to become eager, independent thinkers, learners, and writers. Now that the first two are in college, I need to start getting paid for what I love to do in order to help fund their higher education.

3 comments:

Tara said...

I love it!!

Bethany said...

I would hire you!!! Have you heard anything yet?

Anonymous said...

Zo,
Are you looking into on-line or in-home tutoring with Sylvan? I think in-home gives the best rate.