Friday, October 26, 2007

The 27-Thing Fling Revisited

If you've ever visited Flylady.com, you have probably discovered her 27-Thing Fling idea. I've written about it here before as being one of the most motivational tools I have used in housework.

In a nutshell, here's what you do. Carry a trash bag around the house and throw away things, keeping count till you reach 27. (I strap one of those ubiquitous blue grocery store bags to my wrist, and when it's full, dump it and use another. ) If you're still inspired, do the same thing with stuff that just belongs elsewhere. Rather than pick it up and run to the room where it goes, simply put it in your bag like your're picking apples, and then when it's full, do the retail version of dealing with "returns," going from room to room with your full bag. That way, if you get interrupted, you know at least which room you already returned stuff to.

Try it. Don't feel pressured to do more than one fling a day. But I'm telling you, I feel so much lighter and my house looks tres better when I do the 27-Thing Fling. In fact, I'm signing off now and starting a fling in this cluttered space I call my home office! It's a room no bigger than a freestanding stove , but somehow my stove stays junkless and this room doesn't.

Adios, from the new Queen of Fling!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

This is my Old-Fashioned Bread Pudding.
2 cups milk
4 cups coarse bread crumbs
1/4 cup butter, melted
1/2/ cup sugar
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1/4/ tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon or nutmeg

In saucepan, heat milk to scalding and pour over bread.
Cool.
Stir in remaining ingredients.
Pour into buttered 1 1/2 quart casserole.
Set casserole in shallow pan filled with 1" water.

Bake in 350 oven for 1 hour, or until knife inserted into pudding comes out clean.
Serve warm, with hard sauce or ice cream, if desired.

SCALLOPED PINEAPPLE

1 20oz can crushed pineapple, undrained.
6 slices white bread
1/4 cup plus 1 TBL butter or oleo
3 beaten eggs
3/4/ sup sugar
1/2/ tsp cinnamon

Drain pineapple, reserving 1/3 cup of juice, set aside
Trim crusts from bread, cut bread into 1" cubes.
Cut butter into 1/2" pieces.

Combine reserved juice
pineapple
bread cubes
butter
and remaining ingredients in a mixing bowl, stirring well.

Pour mixture into a lightly greased 2 qt. casserole, cover and microwave at HIGH 8 to 10 minutes or til set, stirring at 3 min intervals.

Yield: 6 to 8 servings
Serve with vanilla pudding.

Zo, I can vouch for both recipes. I used them often when our kids were home.
Betty G

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Betty!~ They both sound wonderful. I think I'll start with the pineapple for Paul's sake (sounds "gourmet" to please him)!

Bethany said...

love fly lady

Norma said...

I've done flylady from time to time. Could probably use an office fling.