Monday, October 29, 2007

Decorating Question: Window Treatments

I seriously need window treatments in my kitchen. I kinda liked having nothing there during the summer because it's so bright. (Our house backs to woods so it's very private all year.) But now that winter's here, I need to warm up the windows a bit.)

Our kitchen adjoins the family room. It's one big space, really. In the family room are sliding glass doors. In the kitchen is one small window above the sink and in the eating area is a large window.

What I have now above the sliders is a remnant of fabric I just love. It's burgundy with a small floral and leaf print, drapes loosely, and hangs down about maybe 20 inches. It's all I have of that fabric, it was last on the bolt (originally bought it --for only $4-- to make into a couple pillows but liked it better as a window topper).

So, question: Should I try to find coordinating fabric in a plaid or stripe, and do all 3 window treatments the same, or leave the slider topper as it, but use separate-but-coordinating fabric in the kitchen. Remember, when you look at that back wall (about 34 feet --17 FR, 17 Kitchen) your eyes take in all three at once.

The walls are painted sage green and the crown moulding is pure white.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I absolutely should not be in your comment box right now. I should be packing, but I just want to say that the blog looks great. love the colors. and I am all about not being too matchy. i would go with a coordinating pattern, or a solid if it's too much on the eye. :)

okay, back to boxes.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Laurie! Also, if the fabric above the sliders is kind of swaggy-like and not straight across, I'd make the others NOT swag like and make it more simple and straight. Too much of one thing is not always good. :-)

Anonymous said...

Thanks, you two. I think I'll try to find a mostly solid fabric, kinda stiff, that will be straight across the top, and keep the slider topper "swaggy" . I appreciate your input. I'd love to find fabric that I like as well for just 4 bucks a window for the other 2 windows!With God all things are possible. He has ALWAYS led me to bargains that I also really like in my home!

zz