Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Money-Saving Tidbits

We have really tightened the proverbial belt. I have come up with a budget and seriously need all the help we can get to cut expenses here and there.

Most of us know the traditional ways to cut little costs (turn off lights, limit errands, shop sales and thrift stores). I'm wondering what you all do that may not have occurred to me, or that I may have done but could be out of the habit of doing.

Here's a few examples of ways I save:
1) I save an old fabric softener bottle, and when I buy new, I pour half into the old, and dilute each bottle with water. Never have a static cling problem, and clothes smell great.
2) If I use a dryer sheet, I tear it in half. Same results as above.
3) I use grocery bags instead of lunch bags. Stephen doesn't complain.
4) I always check the price per pound of meat on every label of the cut of meat I want. Can't tell you how many times I find price differences. One roast will say 3.79/lb while the one right behind it says $3.59. Mars is particularly bad about mismarking meat. I told the mgr last time I was in there that about 3 of the packages were one price (lower) and the rest were higher. Ergh.
He set out to change it.
5) I'm not too proud to ask. Okay, sometimes I beg or grovel. I've blogged about the big stuff I've gotten free (dining room hutch and buffet). In a recent example, I came away with candles, a fall wreath, a crock pot cookbook, and a centerpiece for my dining room table. All for free.
6) Once in a great while, we use Restaurant.com coupons. You pay $3 or $4 and can print off a coupon worth $25 or so. Great way to save money (if you follow through) and check out restaurants you otherwise might not.

Looking forward to hear of your creative cost-trimming methods.

7 comments:

FishMama said...

My current money-saving soap box topic is USE CASH. We switched from credit/debit cards to cash only this summer. I have saved so much money. It really makes me do a double take when I have to hand over the greenbacks. Do I really want/need this? Also, when the cash is gone, my shopping is done. Hmmm... very humbling, but it works.

Also, I've started buying two weeks of groceries at a time. It helps in many ways, particularly limiting my temptation to shop. If I stay out of Walmart, more money stays in my wallet.

Lastly, we've started the Dave Ramsey way of budgeting. Spend every dollar on paper before the month (or pay period) begins. We have to really plan ahead, for even little things, like paying for homeschool testing. It also makes us sit down together and talk about money.

We've not perfected any of these things but we are seeing a difference.

Amy said...

You could forego the fabric softener altogether and use vinegar in a Downy ball. I've heard that works just as well. I use it for cloth diapers but haven't tried it for other stuff. I have also been told that you only really need about half the detergent that the bottle recommends using.

Devices like phone chargers and TVs suck power even when they're turned off, so unplugging them/using a power strip and turning it off saves energy. Not sure how much money that would realistically save, but it's a thought.

I'll keep thinking and let you know if I think of other thrifty ideas :)

Briana Almengor said...

I'll have the keep the restaurant tip in mind.
I do nothing especially creative, and anything I do has been gleaned from others...buy clothes mid-season or at the end of the season to get great discounts. This works esp. well for the kids.

A philosophical thing that I do is "WAIT". I wait if I want something or even need something..wait to see if God provides through some other means, wait to see if what I "need" goes on sale or a coupon comes in the mail, or wait to see if the "need" goes away with time. This probably saves me the most money of all.

The other philosophical thing I believe is a HUGE money saver is staying home...unless, of course, you have no problem browsing/shopping online. Then, staying home doesn't really help ya out. Somehow, the more I see, the more I need.

Try running dishwasher at end of day when peak prices are down. I write that at 11 a.m when my dishwasher is currently running. :)

I try not to use my oven in the summer, and maximize on its heating abilities in the winter. I've heard buying a pre-set thermostat saves a lot of $ on energy bills; although, we don't have one ourselves.

No brainers: shop at Aldi's, buy in season produce and shop the circular sales, planning meals around what's on sale.

Eat leftovers.

It might help to nail down a particular weakness in your budget/money saving strategies..so you can focus your energies better. For instance, where are you weakest in spending $: gifts for others? food? clothing? energy bills? medical costs? Pinpoint that and then perhaps strategize ways to grow in that particular area....I'm brainstorming for myself as well.

Anonymous said...

We've cut down spending significantly lately. Most aren't very creative ways, like shopping at Aldis, for example. I skip fabric softener and dryer sheets altogether. We never had them growing up (because they were expensive) so I've never grown use to them.

To cut down on environmental waste as well as $$ we use cloth napkins instead of paper ones, and rags instead of paper towels.

That's all I can think of right now!

Anonymous said...

Let your husband go to the store and buy what you need! If I send him to Target with a list, the only thing extra he may come home with is some Axe deodorant spray! My extras include but aren't limited to: body lotion, jeans, latte's, high heels, pillows and candles.

Just sayin'.

Briana Almengor said...

Oh, Beth...that does not work in our house. Every time I send my hubby to the store for something, he tends to spend way more for something than I ever would b/c he unknowningly lives by this philosophy that if something costs more, it must be a better product. :)

Sarah said...

Agh....just wrote a long comment and it didn't post...no time to do it again but I'll be back!