Monday, October 01, 2007

Harmonica for your QUIET times?

Yes and amen!

Leanne, whose blog is called Learning to be a Student (see sidebar, I couldn't get the link to work), just asked about quiet times and what helps.

I told her that I recently discovered my son Joel's harmonica. It's a real one--metal, not plastic--that I gave him as a baby; wanted to nurture his musical bent. (After all, I had prayed while he was in utero, Dear Lord, please make him an evangelist and a musician.) He "played it" (slobbered with an occasional note coming out) from the time he could sit up and has since found the piano, the drums, the guitar, and the harmonica again. (Not to mention his beautiful singing voice with nearly perfect pitch.)

Friday he brought his harmonica to me during my devotions. I played "Amazing Grace" and immediately my heart was lifted. Not completely unburdened, but certainly more God-centered. How often my prayers are about me. It's terrible to be in conversation where the other person only ever talks about herself, doesn't ask how you're doing, doesn't notice your body language, or remember any details from your last conversation. How often am I like that with God?

Anyway, I digress.

Buy a harmonica. This one cost six bucks at Music Land. (By the way, don't buy a plastic one. Make it metal. Your baby can't swallow it and it's made to be slobbered on. Once they get the hang of making music, you want the sound to be "real" not "plastic" or else it'll discourage them.)

You don't have to be a musician to play one. Exhale on one note, inhale for the next one.

In/out/in/out , pretty soon you'll figure out
Not just a/b/c/d and e, but "Amazing Grace" and "Jesus Loves Me."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Who knew you were a talented harmonica player? :)