Thursday, March 12, 2009

A Fool's Obituary

Ever heard of Nabal? I hadn't (or hadn't remembered) but a few weeks ago in my Bible study, the instruction was to write an obituary for him. He was a cruel alcholic who disrespected God and his men, namely David. God put an end to Nabal's foolish ways and days, simultaneously.

For the record, I think the proper Hebrew pronunciation would be "Ne-BAHL," but that's harder to rhyme, so I was thinking "Nabal as in rhymes with table." Here goes the obit I wrote:

Nabal, Nabal was unstable
Harsh and foolish, drunk at table.
Got too surly with God's anointed,
So here he lies as God appointed.
I learned a lot from this fun little exercise. Try it next time you want to remember a certain character. I think I'll use this to have my students remember a president or some other figure in history. If you want to take a stab at it, let me offer Louis Armstrong as a prompt. Care to compose in my comment box?

No comments: