Friday, August 17, 2007

Drum Cake

Bethany asked for a picture. Sorry, friend, I don't think the cake I made last night is blogworthy, let alone photogenic. The cake itself was really good, but I didn't leave myself enough time to execute my decorating plan. I ended up using Betty Crocker Rich 'n Creamy frosting, which I think is the best-tasting on the market for storebought. I should have made the icing myself the day before. As it turned out, I tinted the chocolate frosting black for the sides (just like Stephen's own drums) and used white on top. I formed aluminum foil into the metal and chrome parts of the rim and sides and hardware. I wrote "Happy 16th, Stephen" on top, and made a 16th note near the lettering. It was just too creamy to work with. And the humidity didn't help.

Stephen wanted it to be a surprise, so at the "reveal" at the party, I lifted the lid off it and said, "Now, Stephen, can you tell what it is?"

"A snare drum?" he asked, with 80% confidence.

"God. Bless. You. Honey. Yes! It's a snare drum."

Bahdaboom!

Let's just say it was also a learning experience. And for the record,I used pretzel rods criss-crossed above the lettering. IF and only if I get up my nerve, I'll post a picture, but it's doubtful.

I was just glad it wasn't reduced to a laughable lump. The humor was on the wall. Sarah hung up a recycled, storebought party sign in the dining room and asked, "Mom, why do you want me to hang up a sign that says, "Appy Birthday" ?"

With her quick thinking, she made a H on a paper party plate and and exclamation point on another plate, so that the "mistake" was hardly noticeable. Good job, girl.

I am so proud of my kids. As for the cakes I've done, once again I sighed and said, "Oh, why do I think I can actually do something creative?"

No comments: