Friday, August 10, 2007

Surpise! I'm Teaching Art and I Just Found Out!


By way of a *little* misunderstanding, I will not be the helper for an art class. Instead, I will be the teacher. Yup. Apparently there was an asterisk next to each teacher's name in an email that went out to all the homeschool co-op moms. Obviously I didn't pay attention to the asterisk. If this asterisk was explained at the bottom, I missed it completely. I had said I only wanted to be a helper this year, that my hubby didn't want me to spend hours and hours outside of class like I did last time on co-op stuff.

Thankfully it's kindergarten art and not high school chemistry that got sprung on me. And it's not like I have to be good at art; I have to be patient with five-year-olds. Considering I will have my own child in the class (need I say more?) this is asking quite a bit! Also considering that art is Joel's gift (he draws the great webslinging Spider-Man in leaping positions, squatting positions, and always with detailed muscle structure) I know I will have to lower my expectations. For the record, Joel applied my make-up in the photo above. We were --ahem--admiring--his work together. I tried to convince him not to give me extra eyebrows, but he used his creative license.

I had also requested not to be the teacher in Joel's class,if at all possible, since I wanted him to answer to three teachers other than me for a change. Good news is, if he disobeys, Mama's class will be equipped with paint sticks that can easily serve double duty.

But regardless of the suprises, I am flexible--like a tennis shoe, not a rubber band-- and I do love art, and I do love to teach. I just have never taught art before and I wasn't expecting to have to plan art lessons this summer. Now it's mid-August and I have a week to come up with at least 12 weeks of plans, as well as a supplies list for 24 weeks.

I told my husband on the phone and he was okay. (But then again, he never comes unglued at work, so things might be different when he gets home and finds me knee-deep in blue tempera paint.) He was silent, then asked a battery of questions: What's expected? How many kids? Do you have to run all over town buying them? Do you have to plan the lessons yourself or will they hand you curriculum? He knows how I am, pouring myself into something once I commit to it if I love it. He knows co-op mornings can mean rooting through laundry baskets for socks that not only match his pants, but match each other. And then have oatmeal for dinner. With a little bit better time management this year--and the mere fact that I won't be grading high school English papers and planning SAT vocabulary games after care group, I should do better on the meals. (As for the socks, Sarah says we have a bunch that need e-harmony.)

So I guess this is a prayer request and a plea for creative help. My basic plan comes from someone in the co-op who knows what she's doing cuz she's done it for years. I'll be teaching foundational concepts--line, color, shape, texture. It's not a craft class, it's an art class, but not much art history (though I know I can't help but introduce my favorite painters) .

I have a lot of freedom in what resources to use, so if you can recommend good books at the kindergarten level--lessons that can be completed in under an hour INCLUDING clean up AND when you and your helpers are chatty women, please comment.

I am coming out of my panic mode and into my planning mode right now. Again, I need to present a semi-syllabus by next Friday. By God's grace, it will happen and it will be fun.

2 comments:

Jessi said...

Hey Zo, I got the other blog up and running (though there is nothing profound there...) Anyway, the address is www.reasoningtogether.blogspot.com.

Vicki said...

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the flowers on this blog. Your new blog page is BE-U-TE-FUL!!!