Saturday, August 18, 2007

Wanting to Date Other Churches

Since our church only has a morning service, I have often thought it'd be a valuable experience to visit other churches in the evening once in awhile. You can get too used to one way of doing things, one way of thinking, one set of lingo, one bookstore, one style of worship, etc. Not that I am thinking of jumping off the SS Chesapeake. By no means, not at all. I love my church and have grown by leaps and bounds there.

But I do miss singing 4-stanza hymns to their original tunes.
I miss hearing about missions and missionaries every week and praying for them as a congregation.
I miss the quiet of a sanctuary when announcements are being given.
I miss a sacred piece of music being played solo during the taking of the offering, while the people meditate.
I miss hearing a choir sometimes. I'm not a choir fanatic, but I do love to hear them occasionally.

Every now and then I wish every woman in the church would wear a dress the same day. No pants, jeans, and definitely not shorts. Call me a legalist, but I have never been okay with showing up in the Lord's house in shorts. Dresses are the one wardrobe piece that set us ladies apart from the men, and I think they are the ultimate in feminine wear. But I am not sure there's a church in America where I'd find every woman in a dress; that's just a daydream.

So all my "longings" are external, except for the praying for missionaries. Definitely not things that one should "marry" a church over, but I think I'll put it on the calendar to at least date other churches in the next six months in the evening. Anyone want to join me? (It's not fun going on a date by yourself!)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had to laugh about the things you miss. I LOVE our church, but when I visit my old church those are the things I appreciate too. Especially the regular focus on mission work and praying for those who go on mission trips as a congregation. I also really miss hearing instrumental music during the offering while people meditate. When we were at my old church a few weeks ago my old piano teacher played and it was so beautiful and such a time of worship. I like the quiet spaces more traditional churches have throughout their service.

I've often wanted to visit our local Episcopal church. It's so beautiful. I went in once during the Christmas season when it was open and it was quiet and dark with flowers everywhere.

Christina said...

One of the nicest things about being church "homeless" for a while and doing lots of visiting, was being part of all the different worship styles. I too love hearing the choir sing and can appreciate both meditative and loud worship.

Jessi said...

I think it's funny...I often think how I can appreciate and enjoy those things...like instrumental music, hymns, and dresses, and even miss them...but they were the very things that felt stifling and dead when I was 'married' to that church. In my journey, each place has taught me things, but when they become 'tradition' we usually lose sight of their value. It's good to experience them once in a while and get much more out of them.

Bethany said...

You are too cute. I too like the traditional sometimes....especially on Christmas EVE. :) Have fun on your excursions. I think that is great.

Anonymous said...

I like visiting churches for two reasons:

1. Hearing and watching other members of the Body of Christ, I love it. I feel like I am somehow uniting with them before we really unite with them...in heaven.

2. So that I can miss my home church, there's nothing like Chesapeake!!!!