Thursday, August 16, 2007

What Can I Use for Drum Sticks on this Cake?

Help! I'm making Stephen's b'day cake FOR TONIGHT and have not totally decided how to make drum sticks.

The cake is a large round chocolate (springform pan size) from scratch. I have never tried this recipe (call me brave or stupid) but it comes from a church cookbook where my dad pastored in the 70s! The recipe looks great.

Anyway, with Stephen being an avid drummer, I'm gonna frost it with white on top and black around the sides, resembling one of the drums in his room.

Question: what to use for drum sticks? I have tentatively planned to cut (don't laugh) celery stalks in the form of drum sticks and frost them with creamy peanut butter rather than mess with trying to tint the white icing a tan color. I have also considered straws instead, but they're kinda skinny. Trying to keep it to scale, here, if possible. Any suggestions from you cake gurus?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

pretzel rods?

FishMama said...

What about those Pepperidge Farm cookies that are rolled sticks?

FishMama said...

They're called pirouettes.

Zoanna said...

Ohh, both great suggestions. I'll get whichever ones are longer. Probably the pretzel rods. (Plus my diabetic mom can eat them if she can't have a full slice of cake.)
thanks, ladies. Hope this turns out as well in real life as it looks in my head!

Bethany said...

I was going to say pretzel rods too..........lets see a pic