Monday, August 06, 2007

When Tomorrow Comes Too Soon

Joel begged somebody, ANYBODY to play Trouble with him last night.

Not unreasonable, except that it was 11 pm. We had just gotten home from car shopping in Virginia! (He had taken a very long nap in the van.) So he had all this energy. We were beat.

"Joel, it's too late, honey. It's bedtime," Paul and I said.

The boy begged and pleaded, threw himself a pity party, but no one attended. Paul promised a spanking if he kept it up.

"I'll play tomorrow, Joel, " I told him. I kissed him goodnight and expected not to hear from him for another 9 hours, at least.

Wrong.

Sometime before Paul's alarm sounded at 6:30 I hear a rattle and a knock on the bedroom door. Was I dreaming? No, I wasn't. Within seconds Joel was standing next to me, bearing the game of Trouble.

"Mom?" he asked softly. "Remember how you said you'd play Trouble with me tomorrow? Well, it's tomorrow."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess you should have specified a time, huh? :)

Briana Almengor said...

That sounds just like something I would do to my hubby when I've got my heart set on something.