Saturday, January 19, 2008

Wish List Tag

Beth tagged me. This one asks the taggee to create two lists: one materialistic, the other spiritual or altruistic. However, I personally have to be careful because if I dwell on it too long, it fuels discontentment. So I'm going to put a gratitude statement after each one.

1. I wish I had a new kitchen with beautiful cherry cabinets, granite countertops, more drawers, and an island.
I am very grateful for the kitchen I have. Enough cabinets to house what I have (almost) but not so many that I can further indulge my love of dishes, gadgets, and small appliances.

2. I wish I had a laundry room on the same level as the bedrooms and bathroom, as opposed to having it in two flights down in the basement.
The truth is, if doing laundry were easy, we'd probably accumulate more clothes. We have too many as it is. Besides, I need the exercise, and Paul doesn't have the worry of a 3rd floor laundry room flooding the lower levels.


3. I wish I had some whiteware dishes. Food just looks superb against white. But, I am thankful for the dishes I have--three sets, including china--and the free hutch and buffet given me by my dear friend Bonnie.

4. I wish we could figure out how to make our family room suit everyone. I'm not comfortable in it because of the mismatched styles and the broken door on the TV armoire and the lack of art. However, I am very thankful for all the good times we've had as a family in that room and that we hang out together regularly.

5. I wish we had twice as many children, including adopted ones. But I am grateful for every baby I carried, even the ones who weren't born, for their brief lives took me into a closer relationship with God. I also love, love, love the four children we have-- and have not given up on the notion that God may still want to add to our quiver through adoption.

I am extremely blessed and am glad I don't dwell on what I don't have.

Spriritual Wish List

1. I wish I had a quiet and gentle spirit. But I'm thankful for the hope to change.
2. I wish it was easy to submit to my husband. But I'm glad that he's patient with me.
3. I wish all 4 of our kids were believers. Grateful that it seems that the Holy Spirit is really acting on my youngest one's heart for salvation.
4. I wish I loved my neighbor as myself. I'm thankful for First Corinthians 13 that tells me what that looks like, and for Jesus who modeled it in his humanity.
5. I wish I was faithful in all the little things. I'm grateful for every victory that God has given me in little things, and that He keeps giving me new opportunities to improve in faithfulness.

I tag Leanne, Betty, and Tori. Feel no pressure, though. Not everyone likes tags.

1 comment:

Vicki said...

My lists are pretty short:
For the first wish list...
1. I wish to be debt free, although I am getting closer every day.
2. I pray/wish that the Lord will allow me to be a wife and mother. I am again going before the Lord to see about adopting an older child. I pray someday I would be married, although the Lord has given me contentment for where I am.
3. I wish for a new job that has traditional hours and would allow me to provide for a child if that is the direction the Lord leads.
4. I pray the Lord will help me lose more weight in this next year.

Spiritual List
1. I pray that the Lord will help me grow in serving His people and to manage my time better.
2. I pray the Lord will help me think of Him first and last and throughout the day and not my selfish desires.
3. I pray that the Lord will help me grow in love and understanding of His Word.
4. I pray that the Lord will save my entire family and help me to grow in my passion for evangelism.