Saturday, April 03, 2010

Dressing up for Easter?

Growing up, we didn't have money for new clothes very often, and it wasn't part of our tradition to shop at Easter. We dyed Easter eggs and had hunts while my parents took their Sunday nap, but that was about it. I didn't feel deprived, or left out. Just never felt the connection between new clothes and Easter.

When we started having children, Paul and I agreed that Easter should not be a "look at me!" day with new clothes every year. I think a couple times we bought "Easter outfits," but they were few and far between and the result of kids having outgrown last year's dressier clothes. I usually save the shopping for a new dress for myself till Mother's Day. All that to say, dressing up for Easter is not the norm in our family.

Today Sarah took Joel out to buy eggs and some dye kits at Wal-Mart. It appeared that a lot of kids were getting new clothes. She said to him, "Joel, how are you going to dress up tomorrow for Easter?"

He asked, "What do you mean?"

She said, "Well, a lot of kids dress up for Easter."

Bless his heart. The next thing he said--quite seriously--was, "I guess I'll go as a bunny."

"No, no," Sarah laughed, "That's not what I mean."

"Oh, then I should go as an egg?"

1 comment:

Bethany said...

That is so cute!!!