Thursday, April 22, 2010

Me & My Girl

Sarah turned 21 today.
(Officially at 5:32 am.)

You know how memories are, seldom chronological. I am
remembering snapshots through the years, in random order.

I can remember :

the first time I held her. We both cried. There have been several occasions over the years when we both cried at the same time.

-the first time she rode her bike. We lived on Dunmurry Road and her bike had pink plastic tassels hanging from the handlebars. The sidewalks were kind of busted up, so I was extra nervous. But she did fine.

-her fine straight in pigtails as she wore a lime green little sundress and consoled her infant brother "Fian" (Stephen), even when he wasn't crying, She'd pat his bald head and say, "It's otay, baby. Sawah's hee-yuh. I yuv you."

-going to Russia together when she was a senior. I had really wanted to give her a homsechool graduation ceremony, complete with a big party, but she said, "No, Mom. I really don't want that. It's not me. I'd rather you put the money into our trip." So I did, reluctantly.

-how hard she cried when I told her of each of my miscarriages. You'd have thought she was the mother hearing the sad news.

-how eager she was for us to adopt a little girl from China, only to find out I was pregnant after 10 years of trying, and then she cried over that news. When I told her I was carrying a boy, she cried more. She wanted a sister. When she saw her baby brother Joel for the first time, she cried again and said it was the happiest day of her life.

-watching her teach Sunday School. She's a natural with age groups that don't come naturally even for some parents. I'm talking two-year-olds. She loves them!

-the camaraderie between her and her friend Hannah. The height difference is hysterical. Sarah is 5'11" and Hannah is 4'11". Hannah and Sarah have never had an argument, though they haven't agreed on everything. I tease Sarah that "for two people who never see eye-to-eye unless Hannah stands on a milk crate, you two get along famously!" Their friendship has taken them from VBS when they were six to camp counselors together at 20.

-the way she takes care of her grandparents.

-the way her dad will do anything for her. I'm talking about airing her leaky back tire every other morning, jump starting her engine on the days in between, and lining up all her "car doctor" visits.

I could go on. But that's where I'll stop.

Happy birthday, Sarah. I love you no matter what.

4 comments:

Laurie said...

Sweet memories to a special daughter!!
Happy birthday to Sarah!

Lea @ CiCis Corner said...

What a sweet entry and the picture is just great! Daughters are so special and I think every Mom should have at least one. Blessings to you!

Alicia said...

aw, this is so sweet. :)

Danielle said...

Happy Birthday Sarah!

And yes, she's great with the two-year-olds! My boys are lucky to have her as a teacher! And yes, she's way more natural with two-year-olds than I am, any day!