Saturday, June 09, 2007

EEsoos Khristos LYUbeet Vas

Jesus loves you. That's the Russian phrase I mastered this morning. I've been working on the list of about a dozen helpful phrases.



Try these. They're the ones I've tackled thus far. (These are the English phonetic spellings, of course; Russian has a different alphabet which I'm not attempting. Yet, anyway.)



Yes .................................................Da

No ...............................................Nyet

Hello ..................................................ZDRAST vootya

Goodbye .............................................DAS viDAHN'ya

Thank you..........................................SpaSEEba

Please or You're Welcome...............Pa ZHALsta

Good day............................................Dobray dean

I don't understand........................... YA ne panee MYoo (think "yawny pawny my-oo")

How much? .......................................SKOLKA? (as in "how much does this cost?")

Eesoos Khristos LYUbeet Vas...... Jesus loves you.

Boh LYUbeet Vas........................... God loves you.



There are a few more I'm working on:



1) Where's the bathroom? I know it ends in "toilette" so I think I'll just ask "Toilette?" and hope they point!

2) What is your name?

3) My name is Zoanna.

4) Nice to meet you.

5) Good morning.

6) It's free.

7) This is a free gift.



Those are the ones that came in our notebook. I'd also like to learn these:

1) This means so much to me.
2) Your children are precious.

3) You have a beautiful family.

4) Do I have broccoli in my teeth?

5) I'm very much enjoying your country.

6) This is my daughter, Sarah.

7) These are pictures of my family. I miss them.

8) I hope to return someday.

9) Please read this Bible every day. It contains the words of eternal life.

10) I know I'm fat. Tell me I'm beautful.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

To be unable to speak to people is so frustrating (especially for somebody so keen to share with people). I pray that you'll find many other ways to express your feelings in Russia. My husband learned bot Russian and Polish at university, so he enjoyed humanitarian (or smuggling) trips there. He translated for in Poland, but when I went alone to Albania, I felt sorry not to be able to say what I wanted (at a time when the control over foreigners was VERY severe).
Good Sunday to you and your family.

Zoanna said...

Thankfully we'll have interpreters that GAiN is paying as part of our registration fees. The way it's set up is: our Western Russia team will have 15 missionaries--13 women, 2 men. We'll be on the Orange Bus. We are further divided into samll groups of 5 once we arrive at our daily ministry . sites. EAch small group will have an interpreter.Some interpreters will be Christians young in the faith, in which case they are inquisitive, and a great opportunity to use bus time for additional sharing times. Other interpreters will not be Christian, but you can pray that as they interpret, the HOly Spirit will enlighten them!! I am so aware of being in the minority, for a change!