Thursday, June 28, 2007

The Journey Begins: Day 1

Pictures:


100 of us met at JFK Airport. Some went to Ukraine, some to Siberia, some to Kursk, and the rest of us to W. Russia.











Is it a half-moon against a dark sky?
No, it's Sarah's profile in silhouette.











When you are your own paparazzi,
you've got a vanity problem.












I'd never been in a jet so big.











It struck me funny how
we mark off our own little plots
of land with fences and hedges.
The farther from these
self-made barriers I got,
the closer I felt to God.













----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Friday, June 15, 2007 at 3 a.m. I zipped up the last of five suitcases, after packing and repacking to make it all fit. We weren't expecting the box of aid that came for Sacha to carry. It was a mistake, in human terms; she was in Wales, and we had only asked for one ministry suitcase because of my physical limitations.

But God had sent that box. Baby towels, gospel bead bracelets, 100 travel size shampoos for an orphanage, Beanie Bears with the gospel bead bracelets around their necks, and a note of explanation in Russian. Gospel aprons for the cooks. It was all for His kingdom, so "where there's {His} will, there's a way." We used every cubic inch of space available. I fell into bed exhausted but joyful.

Later that day, I pull out my blank journal and write:







This journal is a travel log bought especially for our mission trip to Russia with GAiN (Global Aid Network). June 15-25, 2007

As I begin, I'm filled with thankfulness and joy to the Lord. This trip is for You, Jesus. I want to share in Your sufferings. How special to share this memorable experience with my only daughter, Sarah Grace. Surely she will bear the fruit of her name as "mother of nations" or "princess"--daughter of the King. Not only are we ambassadors, we are related to the King! May we represent You in every way. Sarah is sitting across from me reading her Bible. I just finished Psalm 97 (98?) One verse says, "Light is shed on the righteous." (You are shedding Your light, it's not being shed by me.) A few verses after, "Let the righteous rejoice." I am totally rejoicing. I am a missionary. I've waited all my life to be a foreign missionary!! Thank You for preparing me as a home missionary. It is good to be the mother of children who know You and walk in your truth.

We are in the Dulles (Washington DC) airport, gate B24, waiting for flight 1306 on Jet Blue. It's 12:00 noon; we leave at 12:45. Got here so smoothly, no traffic snarls--Paul was calm and happy. Gave us hugs, kisses, said a prayer, and then left so he'd only have to pay the $4 for one hour parking! :)

8:40 pm -We took off an hour late [on our internatinal flight] and have been in the air since 7:30. At the airport we met up with our group and took pictures randomly. Everyone seems so joyful. I love that love is evident already!

Take-off is a blast. I love anticipating it. Then the sound of the engines revving up and the feel of speed beneath us and the lifting off the ground. Tiny dots of houses crowded together, with a dot of a pool behind some of them. New York from the air is beautiful. So many islands, small green amoeba-shaped bits of green with sandy borders. When we got up in the air pretty far, I saw a wispy cloud go by. It was like a silent white whisper, and I leaned my face closer to the window.

"God, what did You say?"
"I love you," He whispered.
Then quickly another wispy whisper. "I love you!"

I read just this morning, "The Lord is surrounded by clouds and darkness. " I remembered Feb 28, 2002, when He spoke to me in the darkness by sending glorious moonlight to shine on the earth and through the windows into my fear of the dark. Now He has spoken through clouds!

3 comments:

Briana Almengor said...

This is all making me remember my trip to China. I think I journaled like you did..in the airport, on the plane, etc. It was my very first time flying..ever! And, to China nonetheless. :) Makes me want to pull out my pictures and journal from that time, but it would take me forever to find it.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for giving another wanna-be foreign missionary a glimpse of your journey. Looking forward to the future installments!

Jessi said...

Isn't it amazing the many ways God reveals himself to us! Nature itself speaks of His majesty.