Thursday, July 09, 2009

Zo's Shrimp and Chicken Lettuce Wraps




Initially I began trying a new recipe called Matthew's Shrimp Lettuce Wraps, a recipe I found on http://www.recipezaar.com/. However, midway into making it, I realized it wasn't what I ultimately wanted. I had my tasters set on something like the chicken lettuce wraps at PF Chang's. So, I began pulling this spice and that sauce from my kitchen and concocted my own sauce. I also used the chicken from Wednesday's dinner which was marinated in raspberry walnut vinaigrette, hence the pink tint to the chicken.

Anyway, here's my variation on the recipe based on the ingredients I had on hand. Amounts for the sauce are approximate: I didn't really measure.

12 oz bag fully cooked, frozen tail-on shrimp (from Aldi)
4 cooked chicken breasts (boneless, skinless), diced
2 portabella mushrooms . diced
3/4 cup crushed walnuts
about 2 T olive oil and 2 T butter
1/2 medium white onion, diced
1/2 T celery salt
1/2 T black pepper

lettuce (your favorite kind) cut into pieces about the size of your hand

Sauce:

1/3 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup Sharkey's hot sauce ("Regular")
a few gentle shakes each of curry powder, onion powder, savory, garlic powder and black pepper (for those who measure: try 1/4 tsp of each then add more of whatever it's lacking)

Put frozen shrimp in large skillet with a few tablespoons of water. Thaw it on medium high almost completely and discard the tails in the process. Set aside. Remove all water from skillet. Pour olive oil in, add butter, and then saute onions and mushrooms together, sprinkling with celery salt and pepper. Add crushed walnuts (I crush mine with a swift bang on the flat side of a chopping knife.) Stir well. Add sauce.

Spoon some of your delish mix into a piece of lettuce, wrap it up, and devour. (These could be appetizers, but I made enough to call it a meal.) It was a big hit with the fam, though we never told Joel it had mushrooms or he wouldn't have tried one bite.

While I'm not quite ready to challenge Bobby Flay to a lettuce wrap throwdown, I will say this: eat your heart out, PF Chang's. :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds good!

Laurie said...

Ummm. Good! You tryin to make me hungry?

Amy said...

for what it's worth, RecipeZaar also has a PF Chang's chicken lettuce wrap copycat recipe that's dead on. Steve and I have made it twice now and I do think it's really close--close enough that I had no interest in going to PF Chang's on a date last weekend because we'd just had our own lettuce wraps and that satisfied the craving!

http://www.recipezaar.com/P-F-Changs-Chicken-Lettuce-Wraps-15865