Thursday, February 10, 2011

Parsley, Sage Advice, Make-up, and Rum

Strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow,
Blessings all mine with ten thousand beside!



These questions actually were presented last Wednesday, and I wrote most of this last Friday, and not much has changed, so here goes...on Thursday, a week later.

1. Would you rather be seen as a person who did your duty or forged your own path?

I'd like to be SEEN as a person who did her duty, but that doesn't mean I always want to DO my duty. Being seen as noble is a whole lot easier than actually being noble. As for forging her own path, in some ways I've done that. Like homeschooling in the 1990s when it was only what weirdos and rebels did.

2. To shorten the question, I'll put it like this: "What day this past week would you want to do over?"

None. I just wish I knew what caused my allergic reaction last Wednesday night. I have no clue and am only allergic to one medicine and no food. I didn't have that medicine. I'm baffled. Was it the butterscotch, coconut, chocolate, sweetened condensed milk, or something else in those cookie bars?

3. Hot cocoa...yay or nay on the marshmallows?

Oh, yes, indeed. Marshmallows are to hot chocolate what pillowcases are to pillows.

4. Do you wear makeup every day? What are the top two must haves in your daily makeup routine?

Yes, I do wear make-up every day. Even if I have plans to go nowhere, I at least put blush and lipstick on, and mascara ...and oh, if I'm gonna put mascara on, I put eyeshadow on, too. But at the very least I start with Oil of Olay (that's a must-have if you call it "makeup"). At my age, neither my cheeks nor my lips ever seem to have enough natural color to suit me. My husband doesn't get it. He says I look fine no matter what, but I feel like a prettier mare when the barn is painted.

5. Is it more important to you in a relationship to be loved or understood?

Do I have to choose? Oh, okay; that's not hard, because sometimes I don't even understand myself. However, I am not easily convinced that I'm loved. It's one of the hardest things for me to believe, and I hate it when people say too soon in a relationship with me, "I love you." I'd rather not hear that, than to hear it and doubt it every time you get angry at me or forget to call me about things important in your life or mine, or any number of ways I get my feelings hurt.

6. Parsley, sage, rosemary, or thyme...your favorite?

Probably parsley since it's so versatile, and because it's part of the Passover seder I dearly enjoy celebrating. One time I OD'ed rosemary in a dish, and gagged. So I could live the rest of my life w/o rosemary. But I think it's a lovely name for a woman. Sage is great in stuffing. Thyme? Do we ever have enough thyme in our day?


7. What do you do when you feel angry?

Oh, loaded question with a loaded answer. I have multiple responses to my own anger. It's an area I've only grown in by baby steps since becoming a Christian, So what do I do when I feel angry? Cry. Yell. Throw things if I'm out of control. Sometimes pray. Consider booking a flight to Kansas where someone understands me. Go for a drive to bad neighborhoods (not on purpose but because there are some on the way to the airport). Sometimes gossip. Sometimes clean my house really hard (the only one of two good coping mechanisms). "Backpack" my feelings if I think that venting won't do a thing (usually my response to people in authority, or when venting before hasn't changed a thing). Sometimes when I'm angry, I want to withdraw altogether--including deleting my blog and Facebook accounts.

8. Insert your own random thought here.

Three good thoughts from one bad baking experience last night:

1. Trust your instincts.
2, Read handmade labels.
3. It's possible to get drunk on bread pudding glaze.

Last night I made some using a recipe I found online. It called for 1/3 cup of rum, 1 cup of powdered sugar, 2 beaten egg yolks, and 1/2 stick butter. From the pantry I pulled what looked like a small, clear container of powdered sugar. Before reading the little label that Sarah had made for it, I had mixed in ONE CUP OF CORNSTARCH to my rum, butter, egg mixture. YUCK!! Sure glad I tasted it first. Had to dump all that and start over. Then I thought 1/3 cup rum sounded hefty, but I went with it anyway . Man! Why didn't I listen to my instincts that said 1/4 would be plenty? I couldn't even let my 8 year old have a taste of it this dessert! 80 Proof Bread Pudding Glaze. I think I have a hangover.

Feel free to borrow this meme. I like to read people's answers to the same question. Learn something new every day.

No comments: