I used fresh garlic cloves, white vinegar and cooking sherry (1/4 c. each); olive oil w/ herbs already in it; broiled it at 425 for probably 30 minutes on a rack which I set atop a large roasting pan, basted often with the drippings;then took out my grill pan (so I could get those terrific grill lines I love so much) and also turned up the heat to high to get the sauce to thicken to a sweet glaze, covered to preserve moisture; skipped the broccoli (had none)
I happened to have romaine as well as a bag of salad (not crazy about those bagged salads, but they work in a pinch. They taste a bit "chemical-y" to me ever since we hosted an Alpha meal at church and one of our guests, a chemist, told me he could taste the preservatives in our bagged salad! Oops.) Anyway, I enjoyed plating this salad and shooting a picture.
When I make it again, I will double the sauce so there's a lot more juice leftover to use as dressing.
Ingredients for 6 servings --I would double this for 8 breasts so that there's plenty of glaze for every piece.
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 tablespoons salt-free garlic and herb seasoning blend
- 1 1/2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 1 head romaine lettuce- rinsed, dried and chopped
- 1 (11 ounce) can mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 cup chopped fresh broccoli
- 1 cup chopped baby carrots
- Preheat grill for medium-high heat.
- In a bowl, whisk together the orange juice, vinegar, olive oil, seasoning blend, and sugar. Set aside about 1/2 cup for basting.
- Lightly oil the grill grate. Grill chicken for 6 to 8 minutes on each side, basting frequently with the reserved portion of the dressing, or until juices run clear. Cool, and cut into strips. Discard basting sauce.
- In a large bowl, toss together the lettuce, oranges, broccoli, and carrots. Top the salad with grilled chicken strips, and drizzle with remaining dressing to serve.