Tuesday, November 01, 2011

50th WAP: Making Picture Boards


If memory serves me, my wisdom took a flying leap out of a high tower the day I agreed to take on the visual display portion of the party.








My sister Rachel actually did the lion's (lioness's?) share of making collages from pictures the other three girls sent her. She took advantage of Walgreen's online photo software and did a great job. (Those shots later.) Meanwhile I said, "Sure, I can handle making the background boards for them. A little spray paint and something to connect the things and a way to make them remain in an upright and locked position -- that should all be fairly simple."

The operative word there? "Should." Who are we kidding? And the word "fairly" is being used loosely in this context. Very loosely.

Actually it would have been easy had I stuck with Plan A to spray paint the boards. But I wasn't happy with the color I chose after all--thought it would look blah to have just a solid backdrop. My motto: Why be simple when you can be complicated? Put another way, Why stay sane when you can go lulu instead? Life is too short not to live on edge, right? It's the way I roll, which explains a lot. It's why they invented Zoloft, for when "Zo's a little off."

Anyway, I decided I really wanted to use the Faith paper collection from Hobby Lobby since we'd already bought it a ton of it. Like 160 pages of it! I figured I'd make a patchwork quilt of sorts for each board.

Choosing the paper arrangements was easy. Gluing them in place was easy.
But getting the edges cut clean with a razor knife ? Not so much.

The time consuming part is always the fussing. It seems I double my time on task when I start the fussing part.


Every job needs a supervisor. My dog volunteered. It was the least he could do. And the most. Part of his job description (which I did not write) was "keep thwacking your tail into those lightweight foam boards all afternoon, but stop just short of getting hauled back to the humane society. And charm her with your good looks when you're on the brink of impoundment."

As you can see, the tools of my trade include a "Mod"est amount of ModPodge. I love that stuff. It seals and glues and shines in one swell foop! And at times, it gave me the lift I was needing when boredom set in. Just kidding.


Thirteen and a half hours later (the boards are two-sided, if I failed to mention that little factoid) I came to the stopping point. The more time wore on, the more I wore out.

Yet I enjoyed the fussing and dreaming of how they'd turn out when all was said and done.

Finished product will be shown later. I promise.

2 comments:

Briana Almengor said...

They look good from here. Chuckled my way through that post.

Laurie said...

WooHoo! A new day use for Mod Podge! I remember my grandma making neat pictures with that stuff! It works all in one "swell foop"! (Don'tcha wish we had a Mod Podge Mode"?!)
I'm so glad you had some help- human and canine!
Blessings!