Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Hodgepodge: Charity, Compar-ity and Hilarity


Joyce has put out quite a spread of questions. for this Thanksgiving edition of the Wednesday Hodgepodge. Hope you enjoy the feast of answers.

1. Let's start with something controversial...dressing or stuffing? What's it called at your house and what's included in your recipe...cornbread? oysters? sausage? chestnuts?

We call it stuffing, but growing up it was dressing because my folks are from the Midwest.
What's in it depends on who brings it. My recipe includes finely chopped carrots, onion, and celery. My parents are vegetarian, so there's never meat in the stuffing/dressing.

2. Who do you sometimes compare yourself to?

Usually my sisters, and usually unfavorably. I'm not as smart or as organized as my older sister Rachel, not as upbeat or as industrious as my sister Andrea , and not as forgiving or as loving as my sister Jill. But when I'm being kind to myself, I realize that I can appreciate their good qualities and try to learn from them.

3. When were you last inside an airport?

January of this year, after celebrating New Year's Eve in Texas with aunts, uncles, cousins, nephews, and a sister. On the way out, I stood outside in 22 degree weather while inching myself and my two zippered pigs forward while chatting with other passengers in queue. The worst part? I missed my flight from BWI to Houston by 10 minutes! I had never missed a flight in my life, nor had I ever seen a line that was--no lie--a quarter mile long outside, and about 3/4 of a mile long inside. I will not travel again by air at Christmas if I can possibly avoid it. I don't mind lines, but that sickening feeling of missing a flight is just horrible.

4. What is one side dish that absolutely must be included in a turkey dinner?

Just one? Well, I would say sweet potatoes. And yes, I like the marshmallows on top that make the dish pretty much a dessert.

5. What Christmas song do you dread hearing?

Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer.

6. If someone approaches you and asks for money do you give it to them? Do you drop money 'in a tin cup' that belongs to a person on the street? Do you have a specific charity you support during the holiday season and/or year round?

It really depends. I almost never drop money in a bucket of charities at intersections, but I try to always drop money in the Salvation Army can. If a stranger approaches me for money directly, usually not. It creeps me out, and I have been "taken" one too many times by supposed down-and-outers when I was naive city slicker working at the crisis pregnancy center many moons ago.

I actually bought the girl a train ticket AND stopped AT NIGHT in Baltimore City at the ATM for $40 to give her, plus some diapers from the center. My director wisely sent another counselor with me for safety's sake, and informed me later, that while I had a compassionate heart, that girl probably sold the diapers for drugs and--if I hadn't seen her get on the train--she probably didn't board it. I felt so stupid.

But my director said, "Is your conscience clean before God?" I answered yes. She said, "Then it wasn't stupid. She has to answer to Him as well. You did what your heart told you was right, and I wouldn't stop you from being generous again if God prompts you. But now you know a little more about the world. And that baby probably wasn't her baby. Girls "borrow" babies to get diapers to exchange for drugs. " I was furious at the exploitation. Furious!

So now I'm more likely to ask questions like a journalist on steroids: the 5 W's and and a H and a few more besides.

As for charities, my husband and I, as well as all our adult children, sponsor Compassion kids. Compassion International's track record for using funds wisely, as well has how they keep us informed, is wonderful. At Christmas we support Samaritan's Purse (see my previous post), and year round we support missions through our church.

7. Share a favorite Thanksgiving memory. If you live in a country that doesn't celebrate Thanksgiving share a favorite memory associated with food.

How about a gross, funny one? One year (probably 1989 or 90 because Paul's dad was still alive and we were still living in our first house) it was my turn among the local daughters-in-law, to host Thanksgiving. His dad came over with a fresh turkey on Thanksgiving morning for me to fix. For some reason I hadn't put my glasses on. (Probably because I was too busy of a mom or hadn't had coffee yet??) Without glasses, I can make out forms and colors, but don't see texture or detail so well.

Dad went to the living room to play with the grandbabies. Paul was upstairs and I began to prep the bird.

I rinsed the turkey and then proceeded to pull out the neck from the cavity. Well, I saw something round, dark, small, and shiny attached to a hooked end on the neck. I squinted. "Ew. That looks like a head." I squinted harder and leaned in closer. "ACK!" It WAS the head! The turkey still had his head attached!!

I screamed so loud and ran to the living room where I leaned against the wall, shaking uncontrollably and sobbing, "Oh, Paul, oh, Paul, Oh ,Paul!" My husband came running down the steps to me, asking "What? What's wrong?!" He was checking for blood, as if maybe I'd butchered my finger. "The head...he's got a head." He asked, "Who has a head?" and all I could do was point to the kitchen.

Well, he and Dad had to finish the turkey themselves (both good cooks in their own right) and I couldn't eat it. In fact, I couldn't eat turkey for about three years after that, and to this day
make someone else clean out the innerds and let me know when the coast is clear.

8. Insert your own random thought here.

Two jokes from our corny school chaplain today:

Q: What's the key to a great Thanksgiving meal?
A. Tur-key.

Q: Why doesn't the turkey eat anything on Thanksgiving?
A: Because he's already stuffed.


Enjoy your holiday as best you can. My thoughts go out to those who are missing loved ones this year, especially for the first time. I remember how hard it was to enjoy holidays after losing my father-in-law. He always brought the kielbasa (Polish sausage) and made sauerkraut with the trinity of celery, carrots ,and onions. He also generously bought the turkey (without heads) and many of the groceries, so we started our married life holidays with a lot of financial help, for which we were truly thankful.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Okay, that is just too funny, and I will have to tell my 5 year old those jokes, he will get a real kick out of them. Thanks for sharing and have a blessed Thanksgiving.

Marti said...

Happy Thanksgiving. Visiting from WHP. Your turkey story made me laugh so hard, but my youngest daughter is like that when she saw the giblets inside the turkey cavity, she wouldn't touch the bird. I still have to go over and get the bird ready for the oven. Maybe next year she will have a roast. Drop by for a visit.

Cathy said...

You story about the turkey head cracked me up (although I would probably have about the same reaction). Thanks for the laugh this morning.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!