Sunday, November 20, 2011

Chicken Broc in the Wok

Paul and I joined forces in the kitchen today to whip up a Chinese lunch. The result was so tasty I just have to write it down for future reference. And of course, you must serve it over RICE because Baltimore's main man, RAY RICE (Ravens' running back) is the one to watch for Sunday football viewing pleasure.


5 thin chicken breasts (skinless, boneless, cut into strips
1 tsp minced garlic
a few tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tsp (+/-) hot chili oil ?

1/2 head fresh broccoli
1 carrot, julienned
1/2 onion, thinly sliced
(next time add mushrooms)

all approximated and mixed together first:
1 T . soy sauce
1 t sugar
1 T syrup (next time use molasses if I have it)

Stir-fry the garlic in oil in Wok or frying pan on HIGH. Add chicken pieces. Cook five minutes. Add carrots and cook till crisp-tender, then broccoli, then onions. While they're cooking, add the soy sauce mixture .Stir well and fast.

Meanwhile, boil 2 cups water and then add 2 cups cooked rice (FYI: When making rice, it's easy to measure: 1-to-1 ratio of water to rice. Bring water to boil, add instant rice, remove from heat, and cover for five minutes. Different rices cook differently, but I think the ratio is the same.)

Then, for those of us who like it hot, add a little bit (as in 1/4 tsp) Guilin Chili Sauce
to your own helping. It really makes the dish sing!

4 comments:

Lea @ CiCis Corner said...

Well, maybe you and Hubby should become a part of the Food Network. :o) This sounds delicious and here in Louisiana, we'd sprinkle Tony's Creole Seasoning on it and all would be good! Blessings for a great week!

Zoanna said...

Oh, Lea, now that's funny. Hubby and I on Food Network. I couldn't handle the stress! We are both pretty opinionated about taste. He'll eat anything, but he will critique everything! We do like to "compare notes" like foodies when we sit down to enjoy a new recipe we've made, but if I'm the sole cook of a recipe, sometimes I don't want completely honest feedback unless I ask for it! We thought this one could probably use a hint of ginger. I thought it could use molasses, and he said that would make it too sweet. See what I mean? :O)

Laurie said...

Oh Yum! Did you use a stovetop wok? Is it a real wok? (I mean, Would a large skillet work?) I keep thinking I'd like to do more wok-type cooking… Oh yum!

Zoanna said...

Yes , stovetop Wok. A large skillet would work almost as well, I think. The Wok is definitely faster and feel more "chef-fy" using it .