Tuesday, November 08, 2011

Wednesday Hodgepodge: Gadgets, Grandparents, and Games


Once again, here come some great questions from Joyce. I find myself wondering if she spends all week coming up with her Wednesday wizardry. I hope you enjoy reading my answers as much as I enjoy writing them. Link up this week, won't you? This is one fun meme.


1. Of all the tools and gadgets you own which do you most enjoy using?

Wow, I love a lot of tools and gadgets, ranging from big to small, necessary to superfluous.
Of the biggies, I like the lawn mower because, having mowed the front yard, it' "stays done" longer than other jobs. Of the small tools or gadgets, I am fond of paintbrushes and chalk pastels to apply color to paper in the name of art. I also can't deny my love for the computer to stay in communication with the outside world. But I would say that on a daily basis, my favorite low-tech tool is the pen. There's nothing like a fabulous, smooth, cool writing pen. I have a penchant for them!

2. When (if ever) is impatience a virtue?

Impatience is never a virtue. It's a fruit of selfishness, demanding one's own timetable to be met. The opposite is a biblical imperative because it's in the nature of God. So to be like Him, one must be patient.

3. What temperature do you keep your thermostat set to in winter? Do you have another way to heat your house besides a furnace of some type?

Keep it? Well, prior to this year and the onset of female "power surges"--ahem-- I was prone to jack up the temp to a toasty 72 when I got cold. But hubby preferred it 68 during the day, 66 at night. Now that he has had a milestone "age spurt" (thanks to Joyce's hubby for coining that delightful term), he's been wearing two layers around the house, and he shuffles around in slippers. My guess is the 'stat might go up to 70 this winter. We have a heat pump, which, letmetellyou, is far more pump than heat. I mean, is it a misnomer or WHAT when the air blowing out of a heat vent is cool in December? If there's one thing I miss more than anything about our previous house, it was the fireplace. Oh, don't get me started...

4. Do/did you have a close relationship with any of your grandparents?

Unfortunately, no. I can count on both hands the number of times I visited my maternal grandparents. My mom's parents divorced when I was two; we were living in Maryland, they in Kansas. So when we did get to "vacation" out there, we had to "make the rounds" from my grandpa and his wife's farm in Valley Falls, to my biological grandma's house in Lawrence, and out to my dad's parents' home in Sterling. (There were hours and hours of driving associated with these rounds.) My grandpa was a quiet man who loved animals and smiled with his eyes, and when he did talk, people listened. His wife, Mayme, was a nervous type, always busy keeping an immaculate house, but not one to sit and play with the kiddoes. I always felt more like a guest than a grandchild.

My other grandmother ("Granny"--my mom's mother) stood an imposing 5'9" and could be curt and even abrasive at times. One thing she demanded was a yes or no when she offered something (usually an edible treat)-- not an "I don't care" or "It's up to you," or "If you feel like fixing it." She would say, "Well, if you don't care enough to give me a yes, I don't care enough to fix it for you!" So if you wanted ice cream, honey, you'd better say, "Yes, please" If you really didn't, then "No, thank you." I credit Granny with molding me into a decisive person, especially when it comes to food! (I also find myself annoyed when people don't give me a straight answer. "Do you want cheese on your eggs or not????!!! Yes or no????" (Oh, that would be would my unvirtuous impatience showing, wouldn't it?)

There were two wonderful years, however, when we actually lived in Kansas, only seven miles from my paternal grandparents. I felt closer to them because Grandma took a genuine interest in me. She sat next to me on the piano bench and sang hymns while I played. I still remember her favorite, "His Eye is on the Sparrow." She had a famous witty saying, "Oh, I just love old hymns. So much of the Bible is based on them!" She played baby dolls with me in the metal camper out back of their house. She remembered my name when she got Alzheimer's and couldn't remember my sisters. So, as "close" goes, I was only "close" to one grandparent, but it's not like some people who can remember "every Sunday going to Grandma's for supper" or anything as idyllic as that.

5. When did you last have a family portrait taken?

Two weeks ago at my parents' 50th wedding anniversary party. Portraits have always been important to my mom, so we hired a professional. At first I thought I wouldn't be keen on
portraits, just candids, but the last one we had of just my "six pack" was about 10 years ago. In preparing for the party ,going back through pictures, I realized the blessing of having the family I grew up all in one shot where we all actually tried to look our best, is truly a step-up from a bunch of randoms. (Wish we'd had more randoms as well, but taking pictures wasn't my parents' thing. Heads chopped off, lampshades giving us a halo, you know what I'm talking about.)

This year would be the last our nuclear family of six would be together in a professional portrait. We splurged. The next family portrait will include our new daughter-in-love in March, Lord willing!!

6. What does the word patriotism mean to you?

It means a lump in my throat. It meas the national anthem, the flag, soldiers, standing for freedom, voting, honoring veterans --especially those in our family, sending cards and cookies made by special young'ins to a beloved soldier, welcoming him home with a private parade on our street, watching this tough guy tear up at the prayers of thanksgiving offered by children who sent him Gummi Worms every month. Patriotism is personal to me, in case you can't tell.

7. Do you like to play cards and if so, what's your favorite card game?

It really depends on the game and my mood. I have two favorite card games, Pit and Spoons. Pit is that loud stock-market game where you trade "crop" cards (wheat, barley, oats) and try to get rid of the Bear but keep the Bull. I also like Spoons. If you've never played it, you really should try at your next gathering. The thing that's cool about Spoons is that you don't need to know good English to play it. The most fun we've ever had was playing it with Chinese students from the local university at Thanksgiving one year.

8. Insert your own random thought here.

The season of fall certainly is a metaphor for midlife. The leaves change color inevitably, and it's over way too soon. If childhood is spring, and adolescence is summer, and old age is winter ,then I am in the fall of my life. I can't deny the glorious beauty of some of the changes, but it seems to they seem to be happening with every sunrise, and I find my heart writhing at the rapid succession of changes as it grabs the heels of Today."No!! Please stay! Please stay! Please don't go! You just got here!"

3 comments:

Joyce said...

I imagine I will be chalking lots of things up to 'age spurts'.

Your posts are always so much fun to read and they always make me smile...I love the humor-serious mix.

Have a great day!

Unknown said...

OK, so how is it that we have never met, and yet I feel like we could sit down for coffee and talk for hours? Seriously, your posts both bring me to tears and to laughter - my dear grandma also only remembered me in her Alzheimers fog, not her son, husband, or anyone else... so precious a memory, yet so sad. And the patriotism... don't get me started! have a wonderful rest of your week!

Laurie said...

Thanks for honest, thoughtful, sweet, cute, fun, funny and hearty hodgepodge!
Love and prayers!