Thursday, November 24, 2011

Pie Gone Awry: My Thanksgiving Poem

On Wednesday night I put a pie in the oven
It's hubby's favorite and a way I show lovin'.
I set the timer and then shut the door
While Sarah took a mop to the kitchen floor.

A half hour later, I went to check progress
But the pie slipped and dumped quite a mess.
"Oh, no-no-no-NO! Gooey coconut paste
All over the door and racks, what a waste!

Determined to salvage at least part of the pie
I gingerly slid it back in, "Worth a try."
Baked it for thirty more minutes or so,
Then I checked again, and whaddya know?

All was not lost--the dessert was redeemed--
But the mess in my oven has got me steamed.
I can be such a klutz, but why on Great Pie Day?
Guess who'll be scraping black yuck on Black Friday?





3 comments:

Laurie said...

Clever, clever lady. :) I love "domestic" poetry that captures everyday events in homemaking. I seriously have a few (not so great, but hey) poems written about ordinary motherhood ( ;) ) and would love to compile a book. I'll let you know if I do.

Zoanna said...

Laurie, why don't you post a few on your blog? I would love to read them!

Laurie said...

So cute!
I just hate that you had such a mess, but I'm thankful you used it as food for thought and turned it into a poem! Fun!