Saturday, November 05, 2011

Simple Woman's Daybook 11.5.11

Outside my window... cold darkness which hides the beauty of earlier today, a kaleidoscope of golds, reds, oranges, greens, and browns.

I am thinking... I would like to go with my sister to her church again tomorrow. They will celebrate their first Sunday in the new building. But I'm not sure.

I am thankful for... skin that is thick enough to cover all our organs. I was wondering yesterday what it would be like if we could see each other's insides. Gross, huh?

From the learning rooms...
which is still the whole house, even though we aren't homeschooling anymore...comes my boy's favorite subject, Latin. What's cute is that he is competitive with a girl in his class to be the best. That's fine with me! I'm learning Latin, too, for the first time in my life.

From the kitchen...
tonight's meal wasn't exactly my favorite, but sometimes you just gotta use up what you have. We had seasoned cod, mashed potatoes with gravy, and peas. We also had Yellow Tail moscato (a sweet white wine that goes down like sparkling grape juice for me).


I am wearing ... my hubby's comfy green sweatshirt and my own green sweatpants. Yes, I know I look like a walking avocado. Should I learn to salsa?

I am creating ... a tablescape plan for the Ladies' Christmas breakfast. I found my inspiration pieces at the thrift store for $6. My future daughter-in-love has lent her sense of decorating style to help me figure out which plates, chargers, and napkins to go with the rest.

I am going... to be scared, most likely, on Nov 9, '11, when the national warning test happens. Have you heard about it? It will be very much publicized and people will probably panic anyway.
Between a hurricane, earthquake, and now this, I don't think I can handle much more "uneasiness."

I am reading... the backs of cereal boxes. Do you think I need a bit more literary stimulation?

I am hoping ... that the changes in my heart lately will stick with me. I feel like the kind of person I've wanted to be for a long time, someone who accepts people as they are, doesn't expect radical change in them, treats them like they don't deserve (returning good for evil, that is) and is willing to move forward in our relationship in spite of them.


I am hearing ... Barbara Walters' voice on the TV. For as annoying as her accent is, she is a remarkable interviewer. If you want to learn to ask good questions that draw people out, observe Barbara.

Around the house ... I'm still trying to get things back to normal since last weekend. There are decorations we used for my parents' party that need homes or new storage places.

One of my favorite things ... is watching my hubby and youngest son share the recliner, watching football. One of these days Joel will be too big and too old. But today, as he was stroking his dad's hair, I smiled and reveled in the blessed affection.

A few plans for the rest of the week. Like it or not (not), I will switch out the summer clothes for the winter ones, while keeping plenty short sleeved shirts handy. I expect to need them daily for the next three years while I go through "the change." Ugh.

A picture thought...My sister Andrea's wedding in 1992. Were my babies really that little once upon a time? Was I really that thin? Did my hubby have dark hair? Yes, yes, and yes!

1 comment:

Laurie said...

Such good thoughts, considerations and questions!

The wedding photo is so sweet!