Thursday, November 03, 2011

Silly Sister Sleepover








As best we could recall, it had been 30 years since my sisters and I had all four bedded down under our parents' roof at the same time. Rachel went off to college in 1981, and she was the first to leave home, followed by me in 1983, then Andrea in 1985. Jill commuted from home to college, and didn't leave the nest until she was married in 2003. (She is 14 years my junior, hence the big gap in time.) So from 1981 to 2011, we had gone our separate ways, and although we've been together since then many times, we have slept in hotels, extended families' homes, or our own homes (for those of us close by).I probably would have had to miss out on this slumber party had my dear husband not been able or willing to take Friday off to drive our boy to and from school, and tend to his needs while I was busy doing a host of things with my sisters. A big thanks to my honey for that!My parents absolutely loved having their four girls at their place, all snuggled up in pj's under blankets. We sure got silly. I mean, giggly-giggly and about as immature as immature gets. But boy, oh boy, was it fun. We laughed till our sides hurt and our faces cracked. My family is into big words as a matter of habitual speech, and phrases that sometimes could be simplified aren't. We understand each other, though. Yet it's comical to realize it's not "plain English" to everyone. We occasionally catch ourselves and ask, "Do you mean__________?" and then we just "lose it".
Let me give an example. Thursday night, when we girls were trying to decide sleeping arrangements, and Daddy wanted to know what we wanted for breakfast (since he is Breakfast King), he asked what time we each get up. I said, "Well, first, five o'clock, to pee, and then I go back to bed till 7--ish." Mama started the giggle fest when she asked if we were aware that nocturnal urination is an early warning sign of diabetes.

Rachel: "Do you mean peeing in the middle of night?"
Mama: (sheepishly grinning) Yes.
Me: I thought it was just from having too much to drink at eleven!
Andrea: Well, better nocturnal urination than nocturnal flatulence.
Jill: If you get nocturnal flatulence, Andrea, you can sleep by yourself!

We went on and on and ON about nocturnal this and nocturnal that. My poor mother just wanted to inform us of diabetes warnings, and we go making light of the symptoms. To the point we almost DID urinate on the sleep sofa!

Our silly sister sleepover. It was the most refreshing time I've had in ages , even though I didn't fall asleep until 4 a.m. My parents are truly old, as evidenced by the setting on their thermostat. It feels like they keep their house a toasty 84 degrees (or is it 94?). At any rate, menopause and toasty already go hand-in-hand, so I wasn't exactly comfy. Nocturnal perspiration. Nocturnal suffocation. Plus, I really had had a Coke while we were making pumpkin vases a few hours earlier. Guess I'm more sensitive to caffeine than I thought. We then got up at 8 for the grand decorating day that was upon us. Beauty rest eluded us, but I repeat: it was so much fun!

3 comments:

Joyce said...

There is just nothing like a sister : )

Laurie said...

What a pleasant sleepless sister slumber party!
Blessings!

Amy said...

how fun! I have always wished I had a sister. glad you got to spend some sweet time with all three of yours!