Monday, November 06, 2006

"Marianne" Needs God's Love

Dear Praying Readers,

Today as I was driving to my hair appointment (to a salon I haven't been to for a couple of years) I prayed that God would give me an opportunity to connect with the stylist.

"What I should ask her?" I prayed.
"Ask her what she's looking for," He answered.
"Ask her what she's looking for?"
"Yes. Everyone's looking for something but not everyone knows What It Is."
"Okay."

So I got into the shampooer's chair. She was not the stylist. We made small talk about her getting over a cold. Then supernaturally, or so it seemed, she launched into telling me not just about her kids, but that she has been a mother to her nearly 12-year old niece for almost a year. Her nephew, 5, is with a different aunt and uncle. The reason? Social Services took them away from their mom because she's a drug addict and child abuser.

The shampoo gal (I'll call her Niki) shifted in tone of voice between compassion, anger, helplessness, fear, and back to compassion.

"I love my sister," she said, "and I pray for her every day. She appeared in court wanting them back, but has done nothing in the past year to prove it. Went to no classes on parenting like she was supposed to, didn't make efforts to find out how they're doing in school, none of that."

"What's her name?" I asked (thinking she had told me already and I'd forgotten). She hesitated a moment and then told me. (I'll call her Marianne.)

"Like I said, I pray for her every single day."

"What is she looking for?" I asked.

"What is she looking for?" she asked. "Um..."

"Yeh," I said, "everybody's looking for something--"

"Love," she interrupted. "I really think she's looking for love. But she doesn't seem to have any desire to change. She's a violent, messed up person."

"Do you have a hard time loving her?" I asked.

"Yes, I do have a hard time loving her. I mean I love her, she's my sister, but she's 40 years old and shouldn't be doing this. I mean what kind of people just hit their kids for no reason?"

"Miserable people," I said. "She must hate the way she is. She probably feels totally out of control."

"She does. But she hasn't asked for help. The day she calls and says, 'Niki, I need rehab. Will you help me? I'll drop everything for her and help. But so far she has shown no desire to change."

"Only God can change people," I said, while she continued to pour her heart out while
massaging my scalp with wonderfully warm water and great-smelling shampoo.

"I know, but I think people can help, too--by praying."

"Absolutely," I agreed. "Let's be praying that God changes her so that she wants help."

By this time Niki was fighting back tears. I resisted the urge to hug her, and resisted the urge to say anything more except, "That water temperature feels great!"

"I'll pray for Marianne," I said, as Niki wrapped the towel around my wet head.

Would you please join me in praying for Marianne? I will go back for another haircut in about 2 months. I hope to have a report that she has sought help, or better yet, found Love.

5 comments:

anne said...

I will be praying.

Kitty Couture said...

That was very moving, Zo. Just the kind of conversation you could NOT have here, though! :)
She'll be in my prayers.

Danielle said...

I'll be praying too! What a great example of obeying the Lord you are!

Zoanna said...

Isabelle, tell me more about why not?
Thanks Anne and Danielle.

Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

Hi Zoanna. I just realize that I left the instructions for putting pictures on the sidebar over on the wordpress blog you had...after I hit enter, I realized I was on the wrong blog LOL.

If you have trouble or it doesn't work out, just let me know and I'll try to help you figure things out. Once you get the hang of it, it is really pretty easy.