Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Pappaw and Joel


Sarah snagged this precious sight through the lens of my camera.

Taken on Thanksgiving at my folks' house, while the women were preparing dinner, it's my dad (who was an engineer before retiring and pastoring a Messianic congregation) and my Joel, his youngest grandchild, making a Lego car on the deck.

My dad is Lyle, my son is Joel Lyle. My dad is the man who made Valentine's Day my third favorite holiday, and Joel "just happened" to be born on Valentine's Day, 2002. I love this picture.

I also want to tell you a funny thing Joel said a couple weeks ago. (It's on my Kidbits blog.)

He said, "Mom, are you a Christian?"
I said, "Yes, I am. Are you?"
He said, "No. I'm an engineer."

When I told my dad that, he just laughed and laughed. "Everyone knows you can't be both a Christian and an engineer," he said. "The two are mutually exclusive."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great picture Sarah! What a great gift that would make for your dad, Zoanna!w

Zoanna said...

Hadn't thought about that. You're right, though. Today IS is birthday!

Leanne said...

A bit of a sidenote, but I'd love to chat with you sometime about the fact that your dad pastors a Messianic congregation. My aunt, uncle and cousins all attend a Messianic congregation, and through a series of circumstances recently, Matt and I have been trying to learn more about it.